Paint; Colors and how to go about it.

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Wa. MavMan, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Wa. MavMan

Wa. MavMan Member

So this weekend I'll finally be bringing my 71' Maverick home. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to get it repainted. It is originally blue (I'm not sure what color blue it would be, I'm new to the Maverick world).

How much does repainting cost usually?
    What color would best suit my Maverick? I would like to keep it some shade of blue.
    Should I stripe it or not?
    If so, what color? White? Black?

That's all I've got for right now, any information is greatly appreciated guys!

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Paintjobs can usually be done for anywhere from $1000.00 and up. Mostly waaaay up. Expect to shell out at least $3000.00 for the usual worn car. Blue is nice, and I think all the factory blues fit the cars very very well. Stripes depend on which color blue you choose. Stripes can accent on a subtle basis, or go LOUD with very contrasting color to announce your statement.
    Dan

3. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    IMO, Keep the car the factory original color. And like Dan said depending on the blue, If it's a light blue go with black stripe if it's a dark blue go with the white.

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    We charge around $2500 to $3000 for a restoration quality paint job that includes the basecoat and clearcoat, wet sanding and buffing. That sounds high, but I can assure you that's not all profit. The cost of materials alone is incredibly high and seems to get higher all the time. That makes up a huge portion of the total cost. One other way to decide on what color blue to pick is to go to an auto parts store that sells car paint and take a look at thier paint chip books. There are thousands of colors in those books, which can make it a bit confusing, but you can at least get an idea of what's out there. Plus, once you find a color you like you can compare other colors against it to find a stripe color that will compliment the color you pick for the car.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Jean ... how much body work would that pricei include?

6. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    That's just the paint and material cost. The bodywork ( dent and rust repairs, sheet metal replacement,ect.) falls under a different catagory. The final cost depends entirely on how much work a vehicle needs to get it ready for painting. The end price can be either higher or lower based on that. It also depends on how much a person wants to invest in the car. When we paint a car, we take off everything: doors, hoods, trunklids, trim, bumpers...., the whole works. If the car's owner doesn't want us to do that, the cost will be a lot less. One example I give you is a 56" Ford pickup we are about to start on. We are restoring the whole cab, including welding a new roof on it. It needs everything. If we had to make all new sheetmetal panels for this truck, the cost would be out of sight. But, the owners bought over $6000 in new parts for it, which actually brings the cost of doing the job down. The new replacement panels make doing the job much easier by reducing the time and labor involved. Like I said , it really depends on how much needs to be done to a vehicle in order to come to a price to do it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004