Paint in Sections?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by NavMav, Feb 10, 2009.

1. NavMav

NavMav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Has anyone here painted their cars one piece at a time? I've been thinking about it, since I don't have a garage and do all my body work in the driveway, seems like the weather keeps un-doing my efforts. Painting sections as I finish the work would seal it out... any suggestions?

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Its not advisable unless you have controlled conditions.temp/humidity can wreak havoc with paint.todays paints are fairly stable as far as weather is concerned but...Painting a pair of doors then a week later painting the hood/decklid.You run the chance of mismatched paint color.If you do do it this way.Make a note as to air pressure...mix ratio...as well as how many coats you put on a panel so you can duplicate application on other components as well as use paint from the same mix/batch for each panel.

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Like this?? [​IMG]

4. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Painting one section at a time is better than no paint at all. Just remember you will need to go back and shoot the whole car again to get it the same shade color.

Ray- I like your driveway

5. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Oh...you noticed how I draped a paint booth over it? :rolleyes:

6. MrPie68

MrPie68 Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Ford Maverick
    I never thought of that, how long is primer good for before the weather gets through it?

7. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Depends on the primer. A good 2-part epoxy primer will hold up for a little while but remember, primer is porous. Moisture can soak through and get to the metal. It may take a while to show up but rust can create under the primer and you'll never know it till a few months later. The best thing is to not let the primer get exposed to the elements of bad weather if you plan on painting the car, otherwise be prepared to strip all the primer off and start over when you are ready to paint. Now if your primer was sprayed over an old topcoat you will likely be okay since the old topcoat will likely seal out any moisture but if you prime over bare metal you can look for future problems.

8. MrPie68

MrPie68 Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Ford Maverick
    as long as you stayed with a stock color with "Dupont code" and had a pro with a controlled shop shoot it, I wonderif matching would still be an issue? :hmmm:

9. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I agree, it would be better than not having the car painted at all. But from the VERY little I know, I you have an etching primer and then a primer/sealer then you should be pretty well protected for quite some time without any penetration into the metal. That would give you enough time to go back later, sand the car down one last time and then spray it with base coat and then your clear coat.

10. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    What he said.
    We did my shell and panels separate but within a few days of each other. Even with our experienced painter he was still worried about the color match. We discussed the the way we were going to tackle the paint work many times. We decided to do the panels separate and avoid any overspray onto the door jams etc. Its stressful on reassembly though. Glad we did it this way for the look but its really stressful and the painter has to know his stuff. If your doing a panel here and there I would cut in the insides etc. and leave the outer panels in prime.
    Also depends on the color. Solid like mine or a mettalic etc. I would only consider it with a solid color.

11. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Depends on what type of primer. I wouldnt expose any of them to the weather without stripping again before paint. Even not exposed they all have a time limit before moisture penetrates. We watched this carefully on my car since it was in here for a year. even the spots in the door jams that I spray bombed with etch primer where I cut through we scuffed and recoated when needed to avoid moisture penetration. Its like a giant chemistry experiment doin an entire car.

12. NavMav

NavMav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Have you guys used Rustoleum Primer? Would that hold up better than a standard Auto primer?

13. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    On my lawn furniture. I'd never try to use it under automotive paint.

14. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Like I said in my other post its a giant chemistry experiment and all the chemicals have to jive. Use the wrong primer and the solvents in the paint will bite right into it or worse. Stripping and painting a car is a lot more involved than I ever thought. Its a very fussy process to get it right and make it last. The initial primer that was put on my dipped panels was mixed with left over base coat. It extends the life of the primer for sealing. Dont be fooled. These body men and painters are smart cookies. Its something you really need to know what you are doing. Too easy to make mistakes that may not show up till its too late.

15. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Rustoleuum is an oil base paint. Your top coat will be full of fish eyes. Like Darren said...it's a chemical game. You want to stick with the same name brand products and check with a real autobody supply dealer to be sure they are compatible before doing anything.