Paint protection

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by tikicloud, Apr 16, 2006.

1. tikicloud

tikicloud New Member

Vehicle:
    1975 4-door Maverick
    I'm new to this forum. The paint on my Maverick is the original 1975 brown and I do not have the money or ability to refinish it at this time. I'm concerned because the paint is literally starting to "wash off" at this time. Is there an inexpensive sealer/wax/protector/ANYTHING? I can get onto it to prevent anymore damage for a few more months? Right now I'm still worrying about what's under the hood but I hope to work on the body towards the end of the summer. I know a fair amount about mechanics, but bodywork is all new to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    It is washing off because it has oxidized. When I bought my Yellow 74 from a little old lady the first thing I did was bring it to a car wash. I used the foaming brush to scrub it down and all of the foam promptly turned yellow ... lots of oxidized paint was coming off. That is what happens over the years when the car has not been kept waxed properly. I polished, buffed and waxed mine but the years of damage were done. There were area's on the car where the paint was so thin I could see the grey factory primer coming through. The best thing you can do is to wash and wax it. If you buff and polish like I did additional paint will be removed. Good luck.

3. tikicloud

tikicloud New Member

Vehicle:
    1975 4-door Maverick
    thanks. That's one of the first things I did too. It was covered in mud, dirt inside and out, and it was that thick red clay/dirt that you only find in Oklahoma and parts of northern TX. So we washed it, and all my kiddos helped wax it. It seemed to just soak in the wax but when I'd buff it the paint came off too. Scared me to death. We live on a dirt road so it's going to get dirty often and I'm not sure if it's better to keep cleaning and waxing it or just do it occasionally like I do my van (occasionally being about once a month, when one of the kids need money for something).

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Get a good car cover and keep it covered when not in use. The sun will continue to eat away your paint.