Paint Question! Come in and help!!!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 1973Maverick357, Jul 2, 2009.

?

Whats the best paint to use.

1. ACRYLIC ENAMEL

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. URETHANE BASECOAT / CLEARCOAT SYSTEMS

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. SINGLE STAGE URETHANE

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. ACRYLIC LACQUER

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. 1973Maverick357

1973Maverick357 Cooler then a Camaro

Vehicle:
    1976 stallion,1973 2dr mav,1975 2 dr comet,1964 F100,1970 Mav Grabber
    Alright i am wanting to paint my maverick pretty soon and there are 4 kits i see on the interent i know nothing about paint which one is the best?Its a poll also.!

1.Acrylic Enamel

2.URETHANE BASECOAT / CLEARCOAT SYSTEMS

3.SINGLE STAGE URETHANE

4.ACRYLIC LACQUER

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Base/clear paint systems are probably the best.
    Single stage urethane would be #2 on my list.
    Lacquer is great for luster but longevity is so so.
    Acrylic enamel is great and simple as long as you have a clean environment to paint in,since what you lay down is what you get.Bugs and dirt included.Cant color sand/buff the finish.You are stuck with what you have when done.But it will last a long long time.
    Base/clear is easy to fix mistakes.Can be color sanded and buffed to a high luster and is great for multi color paint schemes.
    Single stage urethane is like shooting enamel(simple) but...you can color sand and buff it out...to a certain degree. BUT...you cant repaint over it in the future,gotta take it all off to do so.

3. 1973Maverick357

Vehicle:
    I dont really understand any of these options all seem very confusing you choose one option and then there are more options this is overwhelming. Im looking for some cheap paint that looks good. If somebody can show me the kind and the site and everything im looking at tcpglobal.com and its confusing!

4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1

Well said.

5. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    If you choose a single stage paint...You will have to have a reducer(paint thinner)and a catalyst(hardener/activator)Reducers will vary by climate.Slow reducer for high temps...medium reducer for average temps(between 65 and 79 deg)fast for low temps.These reducers allow the paint to "flow out"/lay flat(smooth)and dry appropriatly according to temp.The catalyst is necessary to harden the paint so you can cut/buff it(color sand/polish)thats the top coat(color) as far as single stage urethane is concerned.You will also need a sealer orprimer sealer(to seal the original paint)so it wont bleed through your new paint or make it lift off/crack.Then you will need a primer surfacer so you have a base to sand smooth and flat prior to applying the color coat.Depending on the primers/sealers you choose.You will need reducer and or activator for those as well.It can be confuseing(very)What I have given you here is a simple outline to help you understand what you are looking at on these paint store sites and what you will need for a basic paint job.I hope this cleared up some of the confusion for you.If not...keep asking there are plenty of painters(pros) on here that will point you in the right direction.Good luck!!!

6. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    :thumbs2: Thaks Joe!!!

7. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Another thing to think about is the toxicity of the paint. lacquer and enamel can be sprayed with a simple charcoal mask . The urethane paints require a fresh air mask with it's own air supply. Urethane is nasty stuff.

8. maverickwife

maverickwife Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick 302 v8
    I've watched as Timers painted two cars now. He used the urethane and clear system. He used a standard paper mask. It allowed for the sanding of the inevitable drips and overspray that you get when you first try to paint. Just sand and apply the next coat. after a few coats it looks great and you no longer be dripping and overspraying.

9. timers

timers Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    Maverickwife has seen me paint some cars over the years and has knowledge of catalyst primers and feather filling paints and can sand a panel to perfection, what we paint the cars with is lacquer, i wear a binks mask with charcol and cotton filters

10. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I haven't used enamal in years but I could always sand and buff it if I used a hardener and it was a straight color. You can't sand ans buff metalics unless you clear coat it because when you cut it you are also cutting the edges of the metalics which changes the look of the paint. BC/CC is so forgiving that that is all I use anymore.

11. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    Timers, your lucky you chimed in or you would have gotten one of these :naughty:for using only paper while painting a car ;). the ability to be safe with a carbon filter mask is a major consideration also, some of the other paints also require supplied air systems to keep from killing your brain and self:tiphat:

12. Davemutt

Davemutt Member

What color are you doing?

A metallic color will require a clearcoat while a solid color could be done with either a single stage or clearcoat.

13. 1973Maverick357

Vehicle:
    Im just looking for a nice color any color... But i have decided to part out that car so not really needing paint right now.

14. Rick

Rick G8I operations

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    Painted my first Maverick in August and used single stage Dupont Nason. Came out really nice. Painted it on the carport with a Harbor Fright gun.

15. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    tcpglobal is an awesome site with good paint. thats where I got my paint at.