Paint question...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Tenebros, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tenebros

Tenebros Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    I am getting my car in September. (From FL to Indiana)

The rear quarters need some attention and we have the plasma torch ready. :yup:

All spots that need attention are being cut out and replaced. The replacement metal has very minor spot surface rust. We plan to sand it down once its on the car.

The car may stay in flat black in those sections for about two years.

I am thinking of doing either Eastwood Epoxy primer and then a flat black over it or standard primer and flat black. (No rattle cans)

Is the epoxy primer over kill if in the next two years the car will be stripped and painted?

2. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    The epoxy isnt overkill. It will seal it up nicely. Rockie who painted my car mixed left over paint in with the primer to seal things up. My car was in our shop for 11 months so we didnt take any chances with moisture getting through primers.
    I didnt realize how short a life some of the primers have before they let moisture in. Of course Epoxy has a long shelf life so to speak.

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    No... It isnt overkill, It wont absorb moisture like regular primer will. Hence the metal will not rust with it on there...
    Dang! Darren beat me to it...:p

4. Tenebros

Tenebros Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    That makes sense - thanks guys! :tiphat:

I can not wait to have the custom paint job done (Jams and engine well)

Toss up - 1970 Mustang dark poly blue with black Brazil stripes or solid black exterior and interior with chrome all around.

Maybe I should buy a second car and have both. :juggle:

I'm sure my wife won't mind... :hmmm:

5. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    I would go with the Dk blue poly but...I am partial to the color blue.

6. Tenebros

Tenebros Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    I like Blue myself - just an all black Maverick looks mean. The Poly Blue with black Brazilian stripes looks mean too... hard choice for me.

We plan to sand the metal clean - do we need to prep the metal with any before the epoxy primer paint? (Acetone? Metal Prep? Rust transformer?)

I am looking to buy Eastwood Epoxy Primer and Catalyst Kit Gray Qt Item #51126 ZP
    (http://www.eastwood.com/epoxy-primer-and-catalyst-kit-gray-qt.html)

7. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Prep sol...Eastwoods Pre-cleaner workes well. What ever you use be certain to wipe it off before you paint.(Just like "wax on wax off") If you have rust issues,you can repair em while the panels are nekkid. You should remove rusted metal and replace it with fresh steel. If you are dealing with areas that are deeply pitted,yes use a rust neutralizer/converter befor you lay any kind of paint over em. Epoxy primer is a direct to metal primer so you should be good in that regard...Good luck!!!

8. Tenebros

Tenebros Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    The new panels have small spot rust - looks like someone sneezed on it and rust started. VERY minor and looks like a sanding will clean it off.

Will add that to my order tomorrow. Thanks! (y)

9. brickyard67

brickyard67 Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    My 71 Grabber has minor rust on front of rear panels,was like this when purchased, on mine where the roof drip rail ends toward side window there is a gap between it and small chrome piece below side window. I think water has run down inside and back over inner panel to back and could not drain, resulting in rust from inside out. Does anyone else have this on their Mavericks? I put a piece of tape over it when washing the only thing has saved mine from more damage is due to never seeing snow and stored inside all time.

10. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I have a gap on my drivers side. I had the quarter interior panels off last fall to put some insulation "soundeadner-peel & stick", that's how I discovered it. It was surface rust. I cleaned it up, primed, painted and installed the P&S. I had not thought abt putting tape over the gap. My car is inside 90% of the time so not an issue. I will however put tape there when I wash in future.

11. Tenebros

Tenebros Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    I am torn still and need a hand. I have plenty of solid Black Mavericks to look at.

Anyone know of a Dark Blue, maybe Mustang 1970 Poly Blue, with Brazillian GT stripes like those on Chirt's car?

Anyone have a reliable source for those stripe kits or stripes in vinyl?