Paint Questions (front sheetmetal)

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Dave B, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I need to know the correct finish for the inside of a front Valance Panel, my 73 is black on the inside, but it looks like there may have been some stickers on it, so it may have been replaced.
    Also the inside of the fenders? Body color? or Overspary? or Black?
    Anyone with a nice original car know?

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I've seen a few valance panels that appeared to have just the brown primer on them with a thin coat of body colored overspray on the edges. I don't really know if that was how they are originally or not, but when we paint them we paint both sides whatever color the car is to be painted. The insides of the fenders we spray with a coat of paintable undercoating and then spray them black. It may or may not be original, but it looks nice.

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    And it will make the car last a helluva lot longer. That's the way I treated my blue Grabber when I did the paintwork. Most of you know that my car was flooded by Katrina (4 ft of salt water). I had to do a lot of disassembly, cleaning, and interior work to the car to get her back on the road again but so far I have not had to touch the paint on the body. I'll still keep a close eye on it but it's been over a year with no ill effects. I think it's going to hold up fine so it's well worth the extra effort to take care of the inside of your sheetmetal as you are building your car.