paint type

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by inline6, Dec 31, 2003.

1. inline6

inline6 Member

getting ready to paint my dash,to liven up the interior,and need some help and advice.my dash is now black,from the factory,and want to keep it black,but what should i use?i ended up buying some krylon semi flat black(part#1613)and some krylon crystal clear(part # 1301).is this a good color for a dash(glare wise)?and /or is the clear overkill?want to keep it somewhat shiny,or new looking,but don't want to get blinded,from too much gloss.also what have you guys used as for black paint on the dash?thank you for any help and advice...chuck.

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Chuck,,, your end result from that combination should be a gloss black. Base/Clearcoat is a color sprayed on that is not shiny, then the clearcoat gives it the shine. You could achieve a low luster with some rattlecan lacquer black paint. Benefit here is quick drying. I dont know if the krylon is enamel or lacquer. I think I used some last weekend and it was enamel. If it is low luster black,, you should be happy with the end result without any clearcoat, if you want it shinier then you could opt to spray the clear on afterwards anyways. Hope I did not confuse you.
    Dan

3. inline6

inline6 Member

thanks dan,hell i'm always confused!i'm not sure,but i think it is enamel it is rattle can.semi flat black,that dries in 12 min.the clearcoat i have says it's acrylic crystal clear,also by krylon.hopefully the two will be compatable,as i'm not much of a paint guru.thanks again...chuck.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    inline, i did the gloss black and it sucks. the glare from the dash is not the prob. the prob. is it reflects onto the windshield and you see everything you pass on the road. i am getting better at it now but at first i would try to see what just flew through the car.
    could still be a little of the 70's but i don't think it all is.jmo...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

5. inline6

inline6 Member

don't you hate those damn flashbacks?:D just kidding!the glare from the upper dash was my biggest concern now i'm just wondering what the rest of the dash will look like.took out the inst.cluster to do the white face gauge trick(turned out real nice)and figured i would redo the whole dash.i'll find out tomorrow.thanks 71 gold...chuck.

6. RACINGLASSMAN64

RACINGLASSMAN64 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    inline i used rustolieum satin black on my charger was almost as good as factory its a sorta semi gloss looks awsum

7. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    I believe the correct color for most black applications is usually flat black.

Beware the gloss. I sprayed an interior part with gloss black once, and when the sun hits it, it shines like a spotlight in your face, + it doesn't look completely right either.

8. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    the correct color name for the dash and interior is matte black....same as the stripes too