paint???

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by maverick75, Jun 9, 2005.

1. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    hey do you guys know were they sell car paint and primer cheap?

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I hate to break it to you, but good quaility automotive paint ain't cheap anywhere.

3. lngroller

lngroller Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 2dr 250
  4. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    hey thanks does anybody know all the things i need this is my first time doing it

5. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Well, you hit on a subjuct I've been meaning to bring up here - cheap auto paint - or should I say inexpensive?

I've found a very reliable place for good paint. Trinity 1945 Auto Paint Inc.
    Used to be $29 A GALLON :eek:

But has now gone to $35 a gallon with inflation. I've used this paint for "outside" work on farm and construction equipment, but have never put it onto a decent car. It has always shot well and seems to last outside on equipment that sits outside 365 days a year. Has anybody else used this paint? All I've used from these guys is plain color enamel - no metallic's. Bad thing is, NO mixing of custom colors. You have to buy their stock colors. But they have quite a few to choose from.

I've lined the pockets (deeply) of the Ditzler people since 1973, and I'm really giving some deep consideration to shooting my car with this paint. I don't need any lectures of "you get what you pay for", as I have used the finest paints out there. I just want to know? --
    Can anybody tell their stories about this brand of automotive paint?

http://www.paintforcars.com/

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  6. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    All I can say is go ahead and try it. When you get ready to strip it back off you'll only lose $35.00...and of course a weeks worth of labor.:huh: Personally, I have to figure that if it was pretty good paint everybody would be using it, or at least have heard of it before. I don't claim to know it all and never will but I've been in the auto repair business for 30 years and have never heard of it. It may be great but I'm gonna let a LOT of people try it before I do. Just my :2cents: .

7. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    i used it, worked good i'm happy. i got mine off e-bay. heres a couple of pictures. i did spray clearcoat

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  8. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    That's what has me worried ..... nothing worse then fixing a screwed up paint job. Or having it crack out after a few months.

I did a little more searching about this line of paint, and have found great success stories and horror stories. Seems to be a common cracking problem if you apply too thick or too many bases coats. The supplier recommends 2 coats of base and 4 coats of clear.

In the end, I'll probably cave and buy really good paint for the car (as I always do). But I was originally answering Maverick75 question about where to get cheap paint.

9. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    When it comes to automotive paints, the general rule is when you buy cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff. The end result may look good for a while, but how good is it's durability? How soon will it be before the clear coat and paint pigments start to break down from time and weather? Quality, well known car paints are not by any means cheap, but they are designed to last for years and years with proper care. Can the same be said of the cheap, no-name brands? Have they actually field tested this cheaper paint? You really need to keep all this in mind when you decide to paint your car. Remember, people will see your car everywhere you go with it. It would not hurt to do a little shopping around and see what is all out there before you buy the cheapest stuff on the market. Set yourself up a budget plan and see what you can get that falls within that budget. Just my :2cents: .

10. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    You can use tractor paint & it'll look real good and shiny,but it starts dulling in about 2 years if it's left outside.