Painting Chrome

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by sierra grabber, Apr 13, 2006.

1. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    Ok, before anyone gets too irate, im wanting to paint the rusty chrome rims on my highboy. I figured we could still make this a cosmetic question though since some people paint their bumpers and such. what is the best technique to make paint stick fairly well to chrome? ive seen it done poorly, (flake...chip... yechh!). if someone knows how to prep it so it looks smooth but can hold up to rocks and mud(y).(i probably could post this question on FTE, but it would probably get deleted):D

2. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    rough it up with sandpaper, get bull dog adhesion promoter, follow the directions, and then top it off with paint. I painted my bumpers with rustoleum hammercoat silver, didn't use the bulldog stuff, and that still worked out pretty well, only get small chips if something scrapes up against it

3. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I had my bumpers sandblasted to take the chrome off. We then sanded and primed them to prep for paint. Paint has been on there for over 20 years.

4. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I hear that! That place sucks!

5. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    I go there quite a bit.I won't say it sucks(no site bashing:rolleyes: )but you sure have to be careful how & where you post stuff.Well,that and some guys thing they know it all:D .If you can weed through the egos,there is a bunch of good info on there.(y)