Painting the engine bay...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by CACollo, Jun 28, 2004.

1. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    While i've got my motor out, i thought i'd do some painting on the engine bay (it looks really bad). I kinda don't want to use rattle-can paint, but if there's something really good out there, i'd like to hear about it! Otherwise, i was just going to get a cheap can of flat black exterior paint and use that. I don't know if i can ever get all the grease out of there though, any suggestions??

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
  3. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Just remember that the quality of the finished product is directly proportionate to the quality of the preparation. Even expensive paint will look bad if the surface will not accept it. With the engine out you should have plenty of room to thoroghly clean and degrease all surfaces. After you've cleaned it, clean it again. Remove all dirt and loose paint, and use ScotchBrite to scuff any smooth surfaces. The concours gurus here can correct me if necessary, but I think you want to use satin black as opposed to flat. When I did mine I used DuPont that I bought at a paint store and sprayed with my touch-up gun and 20 gallon compressor.

Sam :)

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    c-c, i used cheap oven cleaner. the cheaper the better. spray it on and let it set. wash off and do it again. then hot soapy water. then scotchbrite the surface and wash again. blow dry and you are ready to apply what ever you wish. i used simi flat it is easy to touch up later if need be...frank...(y)

5. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Sam is absolutely correct about the prep work. Use a good degreaser/cleaner and rinse it throughly after you scrub the compartment out prior to painting.

I have to disagree about using cheap paint. I've found that quality and price do have a common ground. If you want it to go down well and last, spend a little more and get some better quality paint. All rattle cans are not created equal. In the realm of reasonably priced rattle cans for general use, go with Krylon or Rust o leum. You'll be more satisfied with the end result.

6. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I scrubbed my engine compartment down 4 times before paint. Each time I scrubbed it with a full can of Oven Cleaner and a scotch-brite pad. There was surface rust around the steering column opening so I coated that with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and then auto primer before paint. I roughed up everything with a scotch-brite pad prior to spraying.

Original:

http://homepage.mac.com/dmhines/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2003-12-29%2018.01.15%20-0800/Image-E03D45263A6B11D8.jpg

After four cans of oven cleaner:

http://homepage.mac.com/dmhines/.Pictures/mav/CIMG0305.jpg

After paint:

http://homepage.mac.com/dmhines/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-03-21%2011.23.34%20-0800/Image-08BADB2C7B6D11D8.jpg

7. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Excellent pics, and job well done, Mr. Hines!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  8. tbolt

tbolt Member

satin black

i have found that a 50 / 50 mix of rust-o-leum gloss and flat black turns out close to factory satin black. first i soften the crud with a spray bottle of mixed 50 / 50 dish soap and water - lots of it, then i use lots of cheap oven cleaner from the $.99 store. put big sheets of cardboard(furniture store dumpster ) underneath to catch the grease / crud, hit it with the hose - - wa-la. fold up the cardboard with all the crud while its still wet and toss it. now it's time for the scotch-brite and elbow grease. i also suggest that you wear safety glasses and some rubber gloves - maybe at least a dust mask, most better oven cleaners contains LYE and it will BURN you. good luck

9. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    I concur with the oven cleaner...definetly get some cheap rubber gloves...this stuff will take the hide off...I also bought some cheap toothbrushes to get to the tight spots. Some before and after pics;) Well so much for the before pic...but trust me it was UGLY:eek:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004