Painting those "hard to reach" bits

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by topcat, Aug 11, 2010.

1. topcat

topcat Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber 302
    I'm having my Maverick shot blasted next week, (I'm doing the big panels myself by hand as blasting can warp them) but I cant think of how I will get any paint in underneath the vents in the scuttle panel just infront of the windscreen/behind the bonnet, I want to do this whole car as "properly" as possible, and dont want to have that huge void going flaky and rusting through behind the dash.

Any thoughts?!

2. sam03rc

sam03rc Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 302 C4
    your talking about the cowl right?? and getting paint under the vents so if you look down into them they are the same color?... i dont know how to for sure to get an even coat under the vents but if you know that you dont have rust in the cowl im sure some one can help you on here or at a paint shop.

if you have rust you might want to think about closing off the vents since youll have to cut them out to fix the rust anyway thats what i did and looks really clean.

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Short of chemically stripping the whole car (dipping it in a HUGE vat) You cant remove much paint from the cowl inner(scuttle panel)without removing the outer cowl panel. Media blasting can remove some of the crud/paint but not all. Besides if you get it stripped without disassembly getting full coverage with paint in there is going to be entertaining to say the least...

4. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    Ya gotta be real good with an airbrush lol

5. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
  6. topcat

topcat Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber 302
    Just drilling the spot welds? I was thinking about that but I couldn't see the welds as all rusty and crappy at the mo, but I think I will do it that way! Then I can clean it right out and paint the inside before putting it back together again.

Was going to paint it black in there as I'll never be able to clean it and bright yellow may show up a lot of crap, but if I spray it black then how will I mask behind when the colour goes on the body so I dont get yellow overspray in there?!

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    To temporarily mask the inside of the cowl, perhaps loading up the inside with shaving cream might work. You could wash it out later.

Other than that, after painting the body, masking the outside and using an airbrush to paint the inside of the slats again to shoot black on top of the overspray would be the way to go.

I appreciate this level of thought and detail.

8. topcat

topcat Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber 302
    Or- I believe you can fit a hand through the fresh air duct on the drivers side- fill it with old sheets or cloths, dont fancy trying to airbrush through the slats!

Cheers for the heads up on the spot welds holding the panel in (y)

9. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Aaaah ... you don't have A/C .... you can reach up through the passenger side too if you have the heater out ...

10. topcat

topcat Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber 302
    After a look over the weekend I had forgotten there are 2 small panels over the ends of the cowl and inner wings that cover up the spot welds- it doesn't look too bad in there so what I'm thinking now is clean it up with wire brush on pole through the drain holes in the ends and air ducts, then spray it with a probe with underseal or something similar. It's only to protect it from rain water sitting in the joint at the bottom, the slots in the top are so thin you don't really see much in there.