parts interchange and a question or two

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by inline6, Dec 3, 2002.

1. inline6

inline6 Member

hi guys,just a couple of questions on my 69.1/2 maverick.it looks like i am going to have to change my spindles and rear axle to 5-lug.the prices of wheel adapters(4 lug to 5 lug)are out of my reach.my question is what year of mustang or other ford product spindles and rear axle can i drop in my mav.?i have done this on my mustangs in the past,but not too sure on the maverick.right now i have a 4 lug setup and a 7 1/2"rear axle and i want to put some 5 lug rims on(due to not being able to find any 4 lug aluminum slot mags).also i have a pair of spindles(5 lug drum)off a 68 mustang,will these fit on a maverick?thanks for any ideas and or suggestions.drive safe...chuck.

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Inline6; I have two aluminum slotted mags, I think they are 70's era Superior, that I got from my car when I bought it. I am in Atlanta. These wheels are in pretty good shape, and have no lug nuts or centers, just wheels. All I want is $50 for the two, plus shipping. Let me know.

Earl

3. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    also, many, if not most mavs came with five lug front and rear, not sure about the mustang rear, but you shouldn't have a prob stumbling across a 5 lug mav in the junkyards.

4. inline6

inline6 Member

earl,what size are the mags you have?also what bolt pattern?
    4 or 5 lug? if i can find four,four lug mags it will save me alot of time and money.both are something that i never seem to have anymore!thanks chuck.also do you have any pics?

5. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    69 1/2 & '70 Maverick spindles are the same part number as a '70 Mustang w/ drum brakes. They are the only years that shared spindles with Mustang. So you can get the 5 lug hubs and drums for a '70 Mustang and just bolt them on without changing spindles. I got mine from a Mustang that had a 351W, the brakes were a little bit wider than what came on the 302 models. Every little bit helps.

6. Earl Branham

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Inline6; the mags are 14X6, 4 lug for a six cylinder car. I measured the backspacing, it is 4". Let me know what you decide.

Earl

7. Earl Branham

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Inline6; the bolt pattern is 4.5" (I think). Didn't measure that. These wheels will fit a 6 cylinder Maverick...they were on mine when I bought it.

Earl

8. inline6

inline6 Member

mags

hi earl
    interested,would you have any pics that you could send?also can you find out some shipping charges?,to geneva ohio 44041.
    you can e-mail me private at jamesdean@ncweb.com .
    also would you happen to know what was the widest alum.slot mag you could get for the 4 lug mavericks?the 14x6 would look good up front and maybe something a little wider on the rear axle.thanks chuck.

9. Earl Branham

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    James; don't know the widest width made in a 4 lug wheel. I think you can contact American Racing and they can probably get you that information. These wheels have been out of production for a long time, but there may be repro wheels available.

Earl

10. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    I have a complete set of adapters that I used on my '71 Maverick years ago. They adapt from the stock 4 bolt hub to 5 on 4 1/2" pattern wheels and were made by Superior Industries, I believe. I later swapped out the front brakes and rear axle but kept the adapters 'cause I'm a "pack-rat".

11. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    wheels

On your question on width of wheels for a four lug it was 14x8 was the widest, they discontinued that width in the late 80's tho.