Piant question regarding 1973 Grabbers

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jean Doll, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Here's the scoop. We are restoring my neighbor's 1973 Grabber. This car has undergone a complete color change..inside and out. The car originally had a black interior. The owner wanted a tan interior so everything was painted tan. He has since changed his mind and it will now be sporting a ginger interior, which means having to change the front and rear dash color.....again. I'm not quite sure what the correct color scheme should be, and I really don't want to do this again. :banghead: Should the instrument panel area be painted black with a black steering column and steering wheel? Or should it all be painted the same ginger color as the front of the dash by the windshield? I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but this is an early Grabber with a package tray instead of a lower dash. BTW the outside of the car is a Ford color called Chestnut Poly. It looks awesome with the black stripes.

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    All Grabbers (other than those with Orange interior) had Black in the center of the dash, that was part of the Grabber package. My 73 with Ginger has a black wheel & column.
    Here's a crappy picture, before I took it apart:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    I would paint the column and the dash the ginger color (Will the owner really know if its correct or not??) Some of the time you see em with an interrior colored dash and a black column Like the sprints...Go figure... Looks cheap/chintzy this way IMHO. Same with the black dash and colored column. Theres enough variation with these cars as it is,soo whos to say if its right or wrong...Good luck!!!

4. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    What Dave said. If it really is a Grabber or if you are trying to make it look like a Grabber the metal part of the dash is black. My 1973 Grabber with the Ginger interior has the center metal part of the dash painted black.

5. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Thanks for the input guys. :tiphat: Black it will be. The car is a real '73 Grabber and even though it has gotten a total change of color I still like to do the interior color scheme right. One of these days when the car is finally outside I'll post some decent pics of it.

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Dash should be tu-toned. Black in the middle, and then the ginger color top and bottom.