pinstripe removal

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Sam M., Feb 27, 2004.

1. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I read a post earlier in the main forum about decal removal. In keeping with this theme, what's the best way to remove a factory painted-on pinstripe without damaging the paint beneath? I have a car where the stripe is faded but the paint is still good and I want to apply a new tape stripe in place of the factory one. I tried an eraser wheel but was not totally pleased with the results. Any suggestions?

Sam :)

2. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I'd contact Jean Doll about that. That's her and her husband's line of expertise. Just e-mail her through the board.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I'm right here Wes. Thanks. The best way I know of to remove painted on pin stripes is much like the method I use to remove decals. Take a rag with some paint solvent and carefully rub the pin stripes with it. It should remove them. Now just to be on the safe side, rub the solvent on some part of the car that can't be seen to be certain it does not remove the original paint. If it does remove the original paint, stop. Short of sanding them off, the next thing I would do is apply the new pin stripes over the old ones.

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Sam, I have great success with the eraser wheel. That is the only thing I use anymore. What didnt you like about it? Just being curious.
    Dan

5. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Thanks Jean, I knew you'd see my question eventually, and I will try your suggestion tomorrow :)

Dan, as far as the eraser wheel is concerned, I agree, I love it for decals, tape stripes and the like. It zips them off in seconds. But for this application, I found the painted-on stripe to be much more stubborn to remove, causing damage to the paint by having to keep the wheel in one place longer.

Thanks again folks!

Sam :)

6. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    My bad Sam, I did not read well enough to see you clearly stated a painted on pin stripe. Now I understand. And I agree with Jeans approach to removal, that is how I do the painted on ones when I want to just redo them.
    Dan