Pitted Bobcat bezels; any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by John B, Jun 8, 2003.

1. John B

John B Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Mav
    Yesterday I finally found a set of Bobcat taillights. The chromed pot metal bezel on them is quite pitted, but for $5.00 CDN. (that's about $3.50 U.S.!!!), I couldn't refuse. I will continue to look for a set in good condition, but in the meanwhile, I wondered if anyone had an idea on how to make them presentable for temporary use.
    This is what I learned about re-chroming pot metal. First it has to be stripped of the chrome (chemically, I presume), then each pit has to be cleaned out with a burr or drill bit; then each hole filled with a special solder, then sanded, then re-plated. It turns out that there is a chrome plating business near to my home in Ontario that is reknown across both of our countries for their work on pot metal. It so happened that they too were at the flea market where I bought my lights. The estimate they gave me for doing my lights was "possibly as much as $250 CDN. each" !!!!! For obvious reasons, I'm looking for an alternative treatment for these lights, until I find a better set. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    John B.

2. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    I know absolutly nothing about chrome plating ... But If i was going to use them for short term i would sand them down fill in the holes and cover with chrome paint or what ever color you wanted ....

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    The best you can hope to do is to polish them to make them a bit more presentable. They make polishing attachments, cloth, for drills and using polishing medium, you can make them look a bit better. That's about it. Once they're pitted, there's nothing to save them except the process you already outlined. I haven't forgotten about your lights. Things have been a bit "nuts" around here before and worse after we got back from Carlisle. I'll let you know what I find.

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    One suggestion...get with Pegasus Powder Coating, on this board, and see what he would powder coat them chrome for. After that, they would never corrode again. Just a thought.

Earl

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I haven't seen Mr Pegasus (Tracy) on here for awhile??? What's the word?

6. John B

John B Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Mav
    Earl; Thanks for the suggestion, but according to a guy who was offering powder coating services at the same flea market where I bought the lights, powder coating requires temperatures that would melt pot metal. If anybody knows differently, I'm open to second opinions. Thanks for the tips, so far, guys. John B.

7. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    John; that is good to know. I was going to have some of my rear window trim (c-trim) powder coated. Might be a bad idea. Thanks,

Earl

8. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    I was under the impression that powder coating only requires a heat of around 400 to 500 degrees ... Doesnt seem too hot to melt pot metal ...

LOL if my wife wasnt here i would stick my spare j moulding in the oven and see :)

9. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Powder Coating Nut

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick 2 door 302 V8
    Powder Coating

Hi Everyone!

Just thought I'd pop in and let everyone know that, at 400 degrees, pot metal is just fine being powder coated. I have already powder coated "chrome" on channel trim, etc and am happy to report excellent results. I'll post some pictures when I can find them (over 4200 to look through!).

Thanks again,
    Tracy