Plastic seat thingy.....

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by htr701, Feb 26, 2006.

1. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I was wondering about the plastic thing on each side of the back seat. Is it suppose to scratch easily? Can you paint it like much of the other plastic interior pieces? Sorry that I don't know what they are but I am new to the Maverick and can't figure out what they're called. Thanks guys. :huh: :bouncy:

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I guess your talking about the back cover. They are plastic and they do scratch easily. Especially when they get old & brittle.

3. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    They should not scratch really easy. But over time and often temperature, if the car sat in the sun a lot, the plastic breaks down and gets chalky. Some so bad just touching it leaves powder marks on your fingers. I have found the green to be one of the worst offenders with brown and tan following up right behind. Black seems to hold up the best.

I would look around for better panels that are not damaged. But if you want to try and save them, here is what you can do. Strip off the dead layers of plastic with a wire brush or a roto-stripper on a drill (that thing you used to see on info-mercials for stripping paint). You can also sand it with coarse sand paper. Once you get the really dead stuff off, spray it with a good plastic paint from SEM. You can also use Kylon Fusion. But I have had mixed results with the Fusion and great success with the SEM products.

Sometimes, they really come out looking nice. Sometimes, they don't. Like anything cosmetic, take your time and get a nice, natual looking pattern in the plastic before painting it. Do a search for other threads about the rear panels.

4. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    I used vinyl dye on mine. Spray can.

Seth

5. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    I think he's talking about the cover that goes over the seat back hinge. Where the seat back bolts to the seat bottom.

6. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Awesome guys, thanks. I didn't just want to paint it and mess it up. I think I'll try to save them since there isn't too many Mav/Comet parts around. :)