POLL: engine bay sprayed body color or black?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by jeremy, Jun 3, 2006.

?

What color should I paint my engine compt?

1. spray it grabber blue

69 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Spray it black

72 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    I'm having difficulty deciding. I could spray the engine bay grabber blue like the rest of the car, but then i'm afraid that would be too much blue. I could spray it a nice black (professional spraying, no rattle cans), and that would likely help bring the engine out (the way it looks)

I don't know, any input here?

2. JOHN HOPKINS

JOHN HOPKINS God Rules!

Vehicle:
    72' mercury comet gt,351w @ 4 spd (LiL Cyclone)
    sorry but black is my fav color

3. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    Mine has been black from the start...looks good! Always wanted to go body colour though(I think it looks better) but wasn't sure how difficult it would be to keep clean. Black is...well...black and as such is more forgiving I think. So just call me...undecided! I bet I was really helpful eh!

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
  5. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    This is one place where I definately think black is the best choice. But that is coming from a guy who is rattle-canning his car flat black. :slap:

Maybe it has something to do with me owning a Black Bronco II and Geo Metro. :drink:

6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    IMO it depends on the color of the car.

However black does go with any color and is easy to keep clean.
    Like you said, it also sets your engine apart... Your engine won't be Grabber blue, so why should the bay.

No offence to Ray, it looks good either way.

If you do black, ala Mustang, then semi-gloss, or semi-flat is the way to go.
    Gloss black will show every imperfection and flat black will look dirty and stain from oil.
    When the factory did black bays in the Stangs, the color was called semi-flat.
    The same that they used on trim, spoilers, and grilles during that time.

Good luck,
    Dave

7. MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    i personally like it to be the color of the car, adds to that clean flow, but either way will look nice im sure

8. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i think they both look good if done right. just a matter of personal preference. glad i could help.:)

9. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    I do love black bays, I just don't want it to come out rattle can looking (no offense to the rattle can warriors here, it's just that this project is getting a ton of cash put into it) and I want everything to come out show-looking.

The guy who owns the shop is suggesting I go with the same stuff he's coating my undercarriage with. I forget the name, but it's this tough durable rough textured stuff, and he says it looks great on bays too. IDK.

post pics if you have them guys, thanks for those who have already. Looking for more painted bays vs black ones.

the arguement FOR painting it grabber blue, would be that it would make my block look really great if I paint the block black with chrome valve covers, etc. I think that would look great.

On the other hand, if I paint the bay black, I could paint the block blue, and that would really stand out.
    however, not sure if I want a blue engine block too. I really like the look of black and chrome engines.

10. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Jeremy, I think body color would look the best, but it does show dirt etc. more. :2cents:

11. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I did that verry thing when I was younger and I am regreting it today. I would suggest you NOT do that. If you do, don't spray in a closed in area like I did cause you start off trying to be a professional but end up running. Everything will look good, even the red head:biglaugh:
    As for the underhood, I like the same body color look myself.

12. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Definitely Body Color .... Walk around a car show and see what type of engine compartment you think looks better ..... body color or black. You would never see Foose or Boyd paint an engine compartment black unless the car was black. I painted the engine compartment in my 74 black only because it was quick and easy.

13. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    Hey. Put an engine so big in it you wont have to worry about the comp. color, people will be so interested with how that big the motor got into that little space to notice the paint.

14. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I didn't vote, but here's my take on it;
    If you are going for an "original" type of restoration, then it must be body-color, because that is the way Fords (and old Chryslers) were done. GM typically painted its engine compartments black. I am going to paint my Maverick engine compartment black, because I like the way it looks, I'm not doing an original retoration, and my car is going to have black stripes, hood scheme, and taillight panel anyway. It also has two-tone black & brown interior, so it goes along with the two-tone theme.
    Oh, and I don't care what Foose & Boyd do.

By the way, Dan; I think yours looks great...

15. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    No, that is the way Mavericks were done.
    Many Fords, especially Mustangs, came with the semi-flat black engine bays... regardless of body color.