Por15, Rustcheck, RustBullet, etc... any comparisons?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by whisky, May 10, 2008.

1. whisky

whisky Whisky

Vehicle:
    72 Comet I-6, 72 Comet V-8
    I've been reading various articles on rust paints and thought I'd see if anyone here has opinions on these products. One comment from two bodywork professionals is to just forget them all together, take it down to bare metal, prime and paint. Two articles from Car Craft said that Rust Bullet was a great product (in one step) and although Por15 might be just as good in the long run it requires 2-3 steps to prepare rather than one.

I'm going to start bodywork & painting on my Comet soon... and want to use something worthwhile. I used Por15 on my Buick GS (engine area and battery tray) and it worked well for the 10 years I had the car.

In Canada some of the products are different - I think Rustoleum is called Tremclad here... and I used it on the rear doors of my van but after sanding, bondo, primer and painting... it just popped off within a few months.

Anyone used these rust inhibitors as a base coat or sealer successfully? I'm thinking of doing the floorboards and undercarriage since my car is not undercoated and just has surface rust.

Whisky

2. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    I swear by Por15 and Rust Bullet unless it is major rust on a structural area. Then replacing the metal is the only answer. Be sure to read and follow the directions...and don't get none on you or you will be wearing it for a week to 10 days

3. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    go up to the search function and type in rust bullet or por15 and you'll get a lot of posts where they are talked about.:)

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I've used POR 15 with good results, and I can honestly say, DON"T GET ANY ON YOUR SKIN!! Or you'll be walking around with it there for a week!!

5. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have had an experiment, for anyone interested to read...

I have a small chunk of paint that popped off on my 05 truck. On the edge of the bed, so I figured I would sand it down to metal, and put 2 coats of POR-15 on it and keep an eye on it for a few years. (Instructions say to apply ON TO the rust, not to bare metal...)

I had heard POR-15 would break down if exposed to the sunlight. Well, after about 3 years daily exposure, it is now starting to look brittle, getting cracky, and I think I see rust starting to form under it.

Not sure what this means for anyone, such as if it is good for use as a primer, which I bet it would be. But it would not be good for a top coat on exposed areas.

I use it on everything under my hood, under the fenders, etc, and no problems at all. Very pleased.