Power Shifting a T-5

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by fastback86, Oct 19, 2008.

1. fastback86

fastback86 Loose cars and fast women

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 351W, 1985 5.0 Mustang coupe, 1996 F150, 2004 Subaru WRX Sti (Don't shoot me, it goes like hell!)
    What exactly does it mean? Is this what people doing Friday night drags do? I know you can shift them w/o using the clutch if you're good. Any time I've run my t-5 car at the track (which isn't very often) I always shift with the normal procedure but a heck of alot faster. I've heard alot other cars make horrible noises with an inexperienced driver.

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Power shifting T-5's isnt a good thing unless its built for it.That said,powershifting involves not lifting off the gas and pushing the clutch just enough to pop from one gear to the next.Not useing the clutch at all workes better... if you know what your doing.If not... as you stated...awful noises come out of the gear box.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    You cannot power shift a T5 or any manual transmission, without using the clutch, unless it is built for it. It takes special gears. You can shift without using the clutch on normal driving.

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I know over on the Mustang boards everyone that powershifts a stock T-5 (shift while using clutch but keep foot on accelerator ... gotta be fast to avoid rev limiter) eventually breaks them ...

5. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    If ya really want to bang shift the trans a jehrico or liberty are the best.Street trannys are just that"street" race trannys are murder on the street(useless is more like it)if ya want to experiment get a set of gears and cut every other tooth off em like the hemi racers used to do...

6. fastback86

fastback86 Loose cars and fast women

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 351W, 1985 5.0 Mustang coupe, 1996 F150, 2004 Subaru WRX Sti (Don't shoot me, it goes like hell!)
    I guess power shifting was what just about what I thought it was. I could never bring myself to do it, always had a vision of getting the exploded view of the trans without using any tools.

What's so different about them they're useless on the street?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  7. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Useless is a bit over the top huh?? they are noisey (very) and it takes some yanking to go from gear to gear(hard shifting).They are ment for high rpm shifting not street cruising and designed as such.But I digress,some guys swear by four link drag set up rear ends on the street as well as 90/10 shocks and full spools with 4:56 gears.Others cant live with out power steering so I guess ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference.I had a car with a liberty in it,good god it was gnarly on the strip but I didnt find it tolerable on the street,same with spools so...to each his own.A T-5 is a good trans, a World class T-5 is better. a Tremec TKO T-5 is better still.You have to use the right trans for the application.If you want to go drag racing with it,build it accordingly.If you want a weekend warrior/weekday driver,you have to make concessions.Its all a compromise.Good manners on the street means you have to use the clutch at the strip as well... get good at it,missing a 2-3 shift with a T-5 at 5K RPM will kill it real quick...if you want a durable standard trans and want to drag race it alot... get a T-10 or super T-10 top loader 4 speed they can take alot of abuse before they need serious attention.Eventually even the T-10 will need to be re-built but you cant hurt it as fast as you can the run of the mill 5 speeds.Hope this helps you some.

8. Mavit

Mavit Member

Vehicle:
    two muatangs ansd one comet
    About powershifting a T5 I run a 1978 Mustang Cobra II with a 302 and a T5 that has a Counter shaft support plate and a good Shifter. this summer I put 117 passes on that Transmission and power shifted every gear. at the end of the Season I disassembled my gear box and there was no damage. The T5 is a lot tougher than most people give it credit I f you use a good shifter and replace the stamped cluster support plate with a forged steal one the T5 has stood up real well for me, I run junk yard 5 T that I get a t Bargen price. I run low 13.0 at 103 MPH
    I launch at 5500 wheels up every pass.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    mojo and BBMS18 like this.
  9. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I have got to get me one of those god shifters. Has to be better than my Steeda TriAx. LOL

BBMS18 likes this.
  10. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Yep, it’s more like divine intervention than shifting :rofl2:

11. Mavit

Mavit Member

Vehicle:
    two muatangs ansd one comet
    if you granny Shift you can do it with a pair of Vise grips, it don't matter what kind of shifter you use!

Krazy Comet and BBMS18 like this.
  12. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Relax brother, we’re just having a little fun.:)

13. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    In other words a cheap imitation of Chrysler's "Pistol Grip" shifter. ;)

The early T-5 were prone to breaking the cluster for 3rd, have the T-shirt for that one. Once I installed upgraded gear set, had no more problems.