Prepping/Painting Undercarriage/Parts

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by LSU2010, Sep 14, 2009.

1. LSU2010

LSU2010 Brandon B

Vehicle:
    '72 mav 2dr, '70 mav 2dr
    Hey yall,

I have read a few threads on painting where the sun don't shine but I just wanted to see if there was any untapped knowledge here. I am going to put a new floor in so I can spread this out a little bit.

So I just want to clean the undercarriage and any paintable suspension parts. I can paint the parts but I can wait till I get fresh metal in the floor to paint the car. I was going to take the engine, trans, and fenders off and pressure wash parts and undercar with a household pressure washer.

I was going to get some eastwood or other rust sealer/preventer stuff and then just spray the undercarriage with auto trunk paint, the engine bay with glossy black or maybe the high heat bbq spray paint, the suspension parts with just flat black.

Wasn't going to use a primer except on the engine bay. Have a HF paint sprayer. The car is just 1.5ft off the ground on jack stands but I could get some friends to hold it up so I can paint it :D I have lots of pets running around so I am trying to stay away from lots of chemicals and I am a tree hugger as well ;).

Any red flags or recommendations? as always your help is greatly appreciated.

2. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    use a self etching primer on the bare metal componets if you want the paint to stick and be duriable.

3. LSU2010

LSU2010 Brandon B

Vehicle:
    '72 mav 2dr, '70 mav 2dr
    Thanks (y) I could just use a spray can for that, right? when you say components are you referring to just the parts or any bare metal?

4. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    get sem brand self etching primer in a spray can. if you prime anything that is down to bare metal the paint will stick to it alot beter that just spraying the paint right on the metal. use a degreaser on the metal first them prime it then paint it. more prep you do should get you beter results.

5. LSU2010

LSU2010 Brandon B

Vehicle:
    '72 mav 2dr, '70 mav 2dr
    I understand you get what you pay for, but after looking around at prices for SEM primer is there a cheaper alternative? I found it for $12 without shipping and it seems like no one would carry it in town any cheaper. Would it be cheaper to get a can of primer and spray w/ my paint sprayer. Paint is a whole new ball game for me.
    IF NOT, I wonder if 3 cans of that sem would do the underneath of my car and a rearend... I'll have to look at the sqftage

Oh, and I was just gonna use some of that orange topped engine gunk stuff to degrease. any objections?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    you should be able to get it for you paint gun. it should be cheaper that rout.

7. LSU2010

LSU2010 Brandon B

Vehicle:
    '72 mav 2dr, '70 mav 2dr
    just went on sem's site. There is a distrib right around the corner. I'll go take a looksie, but I'm sure they jack the prices way up. maybe not who knows. Otherwise, I'll order a quart from the interweb. They also have some spray rubber coating and rust preventers. hmmmm

Thanks, Bryant!