Primers.....how are they used, and for...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Moneymaker 1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    Ok I did a search on "differences in primers" and found two threads from 2009 that did not explain much, and I would think they have had some advancements since then, my questions are...
    1. What are the different kinds of primers available......... etching, filler, epoxy and so on.
    2. What is each primers intended use......like for bare metal, over/under bondo or fiberglass, over original paint.
    As far as brands go I don't really care about who makes the best as I will do my own research on that subject and hopefully avoid any conflict in this thread about that subject, I am not a auto painter but a house painter, and I know that if the primer is not applied properly for its intended use it will not stay on and the topcoat will release along with it, it's whats under the paint job that makes it.
    Yes I am going to try my hand at auto painting, I have sprayed on thousands of gallons on all types of house paints, stains and clear products, I am certified at spraying on U.S. Government property (you must be certified to work on military bases) and have passed countless millage test on those bases, I just don't know much about automotive primers and paint, but I can learn!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    Try googleing Custom paint forum and backyard painter. Its been awhile since I painted anything so I joined the custom paint forum. They mostly do motorcycles but its the same as cars. I also read alot on Backyard painter.:)

3. socalcomet

socalcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Thanks for the tip:thumbs2:

4. danrjohnson83

danrjohnson83 Member

Vehicle:
    maverick
    I've got about 12 years of automotive paint experience. Alot depends on what you want to spend! you can spend 3 hundred or 3000 on paint, get a job that looks the same when your done. it all depends in the prep work.

ALL paint manufacturers will tell you to get one brand and stick with it, otherwise there is no warranty.

for the jobs that i do, that are inexpensive, I use a 3 in 1 DTM primer.
    you can spray it direct to metal and it will stick, it also fills 180 scratches pretty good, and you can thin it out and use it as a sealer.

the stuff that i use, sands real good, and doesn't clog the paper.

for fiberglass (which i don't do much with) i beleive your supposed to use a polyester type primer.

also when painting on plastic, never use regular wax and grease remover or a mineral based solvent. they make a plastic prep, or use a mild soap/water.

when it comes to painting, i say anyone can paint, it's 90% prep, 10% skill