Prolonging the life of black rubber and plastic trim

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Sep 4, 2007.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    The question is specifically in regards to my 2004 Dodge truck, but all cars have strips of black rubber and plastic trim (plastic moreso on newer vehicles, mirrors, bumper inserts, etc).

What is a good way to keep them from oxidizing and becoming brittle?

I am using this stuff...http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home on Anna's convertible top and the top of our hot tub. It states "100% prevention of UV caused slow-fade with regular use" (once every 3-5 weeks).

The rubber trim on my windows on the truck are starting to do that thing where it leaves black on your fingers if you rub it. Maybe too late, but what are suggested products to save it from further deterioration.

I have heard AGAINST armor all and similar because the oils absorb, hold heat, and further break down the rubber ("like dissolves like" from chemistry class...:huh:) but do not have any research to back that up.

Any suggestions?

2. Shinysideup

Shinysideup Chillin the most

Vehicle:
    car
    I use back-to-black for auto trim. makes it look and feel new, not jigga gloss like armor-all.

3. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I tried that Back to Black on my mom's Exterra (you know, huge plastic bumpers that fade to a wavy gray color over the years). I may have waited too long, but it just gave it a further tie-dyed look. Might need several coats to get the even black back, i don't know.

Does it work better if you use it BEFORE it fades and gets brittle?

4. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I have yet to find any thing other than storage out of the weather. Everything I have ever used makes it look better but then seems to take a step back for the worse when it washes or wears with time. I dont want to be treating my vehicle with products every other week cause I simply don't have time, so I just leave it and don't worry about the small stuff, unless it goes bad to the point it needs replacing. My Ram is newer than my Comet so it sits outside in the elements, for the next guy to restore :biglaugh:.
    This is off your topic but you have a Ram too... I don't know if you have had to replace your shocks but I did. I installed some shocks on the rear of my truck and will be doing the fronts today. They are the monroe sensatrack. They have coils over and feel great! They also raised my rear an inch. I measured before and after to see if there would be a change as I do use my truck for work. I got tired of the sag and wanted something to raise it back up some cause I carry alot of equipment. Also Wal-Mart had voided my tire warranty claiming I was supposed to change the shocks at 60,000...they sold me the set at 69,000 and didn't mention it then :16suspect :bs:. I now have 124,000...Back to the topical :D

5. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Nope, no shock problems. but I seldom carry heavy loads and have only hauled a trailer 2-3 times. I have 80k on it, second set of tires, and no sagging issues.

I agree on the "step back" issue with most chemicals I have used. Seems like it looks great while it is wet, then a couple days later it is dryer looking and gets brittle quickly.