Pulled My Vinyl Top Off

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Dave B, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I was talking to the Media Blaster today, he wants to get my car over there as soon as I can, So tonight I thought I'd pull the Vinyl top off, came off easily, I was really worried about the chrome around the edges, but it came off easy (no bending required) It looks like they didn't paint the roof all the way across at the factory, the white is thicker on the sides, and thins out towards the middle of the roof.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Another Pic:[​IMG]

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    that top looks great to have had a cover on it...most are rusted through (y)
    ...frank...:bouncy:

4. daydreamer

daydreamer Mavmenace

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Vinyl top

Dave you shouldnt say things like that.. Some might think your up to no good especially if there is vinyl boots too.:rofl2: . Seriously, who is doin the media stripping and what is he using..hope to see you on may07th:tiphat:

5. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Yeah. it looks really good. Usually, the vinyl top acts as a sponge and holds moisture near the steel, causing a rusted mess when you remove it. Luckily, mine was in a garage since 1973, and came off with no rust, but I have heard of guys scrapping the car after removing the vinyl due to the extensive rust.

Get the glue off, and you might have a semi-easy job getting it to look non-vinyl.

Hold that vinyl top chrome...it is worth its weight in...CHROME!!!

6. gettinindeep

gettinindeep Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Comet Gt
    i got a ride like that

7. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I have a feeling he is restoring the car and will be putting the vinyl top back on ...

8. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    So let me ask a stupid question why scrap over the roof being rusted, can't it be repaired? I am just getting ready to do this to my Comet, I know it is bubbled under the vinyl, At what point does the top have to be sawed off and a replacement grafted in?
    Couldn't a body shop fabricate a top piece as long as there is good metal to weld to? Along the perimeter?

9. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Doner tops are easy to come buy. There have been people who replaced the whole top but in most cases, you can probably just graft in pices where needed. A good body shop can do this easily, especially if you cut out the needed pieces from the doner roof. Just cut your sections alot bigger than you think they will need and let them trim them to size.

10. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Do you have any suggestions in a search for a doner, I live in Iowa and these cars are rare around here, at least ones that arn't rusted badly, mine owuld be worse if it hadn't been stored in a garage ten years.

11. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    halebop, this is kindof a combined answer for your other thread post on this. the metal can be off of similar parts of other cars, depending on the severity and location of your rust, if any. the bodyman/welder would be better to determine that. as for replacing the top, i strongly suggest having the roof treated with extra rust preventer and anti rust paint. if you cant keep it in a garage when its home, id suggest not putting the vinyl back on. if you go with vinyl, treat it with Black Chrome once a month at the least (those of you who already have them should be doing this too. made mine look new except where the seam was giving and the same for the wifes 68 cougar) id lean towards black paint or the cloth used on the new lincolns myself if you must put a top back on.

12. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    I walked out to go to work tothis monring coffee in one hand and leterally ripped the top on mine of with one hand, underneith I was very please to find SOLID metal though slightly surfaced rusted, not pitted badly, there may be a pin hole or two but I am certain i won't need patches welded in What a relief, It feels good to have that top off there I hated having that thing retaining moisture looks like I caught it just in time to not require extensive work.

13. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I hate vinyl tops....PERIOD.

14. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    I decided just about a half hour ago, to to go with a Cobalt blue and then paint the area where the vinyl top was Peal White and put A GT hood scoop on it with Pearl White GT Stripes.. but then thats a long ways down the road.