quarter panel corners

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by seth, Jun 18, 2008.

1. seth

seth Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick
    i have a slight problem ive been trying to replace the corners of the rear wheel weel and am beginning to cut out the corners and i realize that i cant form a piece of metal as good as it should be to replace the corners and was wandering if there was any place to buy these corners, because i dont want to replace to whole quarter panel.

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    You can fab them up pretty easily.Make em 2 pieces,First make the flat panel portion to fit your opening that you created when you removed the offending rot(outer piece).then make the lip out of a seperate piece and weld em together at the seam.The inner wheel house is a pian in the butt due to its compound curve shape but it can be done the same way,make several pie shaped pieces that fit together with the curvature you need and tack em together then fit the piece and make adjustments.Once you have it all the way you want it... weld it up.Its not as easy in practice as it sounds but its not rocket science either.Go slow,get your shape and fittment right and you will get it done.Good luck.hope this helped you some.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. seth

seth Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick
    so you are saying to make the flat part then to cut a curved peice then weld them together on the back side. here is some pics of what i have now

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Yes,you can go a step further and make the lower rocker sction a seperate little box.Then make the quarter dog leg portion.Fit it all so its proper then plug weld the quarter patch to the rocker patch from the inside(I am talking about that factory seam)where the two panels meet.Then weld the whole assembly to the car.Or attach them individually,then make your rocker corner(lip) and your quarter lip and weld them on.So it would be several pieces.

5. seth

seth Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick
    thanks for all the help i dont have alot of car thats why i ask so many questions. i have mostly worked with trucks like my 78 F250 which i did not have to do much body work on.

6. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    That truck looks good.Allways remember,the only stupid question is the one thats not asked,so keep asking away Seth.Have fun!!!

7. seth

seth Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick
    this is is far as i got to day for botton corner i cut a slit into the bend then brazed it back to gether its not to bad but i will probilly still need to put bondo on it because of warping on the joints.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    That looks good Seth,I think you got it there.

9. seth

seth Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick
    my only problem now is that i have 3 more corners and it took me a couple of days just for that one.

10. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Yes but now that you know how to do one...the others will go quicker.The more you do, the more you learn,the more you learn... the better and quicker you get.