Quarter panel prices

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 71Mavrk, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    I did a lousy repair job 20 years ago and I’m having to do it over again. Rather than graft in old ones, I wanted to use new ones.

Everywhere I went appeared to be using panels from Sherman. The prices where all over the place:
    Rustrepair.com $224
    Autokrafters $299
    American Muscle Car $233
    Restoration Performance Center $240
    Rock Auto $246
    Summit $340 (really?)

Shipping ranged from $77 to 140 per panel.

In making my rounds, one of the suppliers let it slip that Sherman does not actually make the panels. I tracked the manufacturer down: Schott Metal Products, 2225 Lee Drive, Akron, OH (330) 773-7873.

A call to Schott got me in touch with a very nice lady who offered them at $125.52 each. Shipping for both panels was $145. Total $396.04.

Don’t waste your time with the middlemen.

2. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    I hope you're not planning on using the entire panels, as they don't fit correctly. You can use the lower sections with no problem though.

Oh, and those are just the outer skins.

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    At one time the Sherman ones were made in Canada, since they are owned by a Canadian company.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I would have to agree. You will be much happier with NOS if you can find them. I think you would even be happier with USED ones.

5. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    It took me a couple years, but I managed to find 2 nice used quarters for a total of less than $200. Advantage was they included trunk drops and partial wheel housings.

6. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I just went through this with my quarter panel repairs trying to use the new stamped quarters. There are issues with different areas of those panels so I had to use good used panels also to make it all work.

The stamped panels do not have the sharp 90 degree bend needed at the tail panel where your extensions bolt - the bends are more of a gentle radius. There is no metal added to the bottoms to attach to the trunk drops so you have to figure that out on your own. There is no metal at the rear below the tail panel where youe rear valence bolts to so that has to be engineered also if needed. I didn't need any pieces to wrap around to my door frames but that part of it didn't look right either. The stampers did not purchase all of the needed dies from Ford to do this panal right.

Send me a PM if you would like more details :)

7. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I bought oth sides of those quarters. Looked like they were stamped with someones foot. I got so frustrated by them the only part I used was the wheel opening for patches on my outer wheel houses. Expensive way to patch an outer wheel house I can tell you that!

In the end I was fortunate enough to find a pair of NOS. The only way to go if you can score any.

Glenn

8. driftwood

driftwood Member

Vehicle:
    95mustang gt convertable 74 maverick, 75 four door,71 parts car, 67 couger 71 jav. sst
    I asked for lower quarter panels on here and got one reply and that one was what I thought and it looks like others to was REALLY HIGH plus shipping made them out of my price range.i'd still like a pair if anyone has a set they would like to get rid of for a fair price.(y)

9. maverick93

maverick93 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    I got my quarter panel from a tow yard for $10! :)

10. driftwood

driftwood Member

Vehicle:
    95mustang gt convertable 74 maverick, 75 four door,71 parts car, 67 couger 71 jav. sst
    ah yea! you ALWAYS here that stuff when you've already bought your stuff!:biglaugh::rofl2:could you find me a pair please?!:thumbs2::dancing:

11. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1937 Ford Tudor, 1962 F100
    Used Schott panels on some rust repair on my '57 F100 a few years ago. Said I would never spend another dime with that company. Pure junk. Looked fine until you tried to fit them in place. Uneven flanges, no true 90* bends, wrong radius on curved surfaces. Pure junk.

Find OEM or good take-off panels. Run from Schotts.

SPark