question on removing small rust spots ?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by miyakoscorn, Dec 9, 2006.

1. miyakoscorn

miyakoscorn New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick coupe, avocado
    I was wondering if there were any good ways to get rid of tiny rust spot on the body of my maverick also is it possible to touch up these spots as to not ruin the integrity of the otherwise fantastic original paint job? please help me with this information if you can, Thanks

2. Derek 5oComet

Derek 5oComet Tire burner

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet ,5.0L,5spd,9",3.89 trac lock, 12.40@110, 1967 Mercury Cougar 390 stick,1985 Mercury Capri 5.0,5 speed,1979 F150 4x4 460,1992 F150 Flareside,99 F250 SuperDuty V10
    Where are the rust spots [any pics?] and what is the color?metallic or solid? Derek.

3. miyakoscorn

miyakoscorn New Member

Vehicle:
    No pics yet but soon, basically from little scratches on the drivers side door, a very small scuff on the very front the hood, scratch on the passenger side fender very minor, the rust was probably caused by lack of paint protection in those area. it has been sitting in the same spot for two years before bought it. my biggest problem areas are near the the rear wheel-walls and the bottom of the passenger side door where rust seemed to actually eat a few small holes, I don't know if that gives you any Ideas, It would make a lot more sense with photos, thanks for responding..

4. miyakoscorn

miyakoscorn New Member

Vehicle:
    Avocado

5. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    The only way to get rid of rust is to totally remove ALL corroded metal. If it's just surface rust, you can use sandpaper or some of those roloc scotchbrite discs on your angle grinder and take it down to bare clean metal. You'd then need to use some body filler to replace the metal you removed, sand and paint. There is a company out there who will match your paint from the color code you give them and put it in a spray can for ease of application. Check back in the archives for "rattle cans".

If the rust has eaten completely through the metal, the only proper way to repair this is to cut out all rotten metal and weld in a patch panel. Some guys try to grind out the rust and fill the hole with body filler, and although this is quick and cheap, it will not last as the body filler will eventually pop out.

Some folks are intimidated by body and paint work but it's really not that hard to do a good job if you keep in mind that you must spend the time on proper surface preparation. The best paint job will only be as good as the work that precedes it.

6. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    most major rust works from the inside out. so if your noticing a few small bubles of rust comming through the bottom of the door or fender its probably 10 times worse on the inside of the door where you cant see. if you touch the paint and the body desinigrates into a hole you have alot more to worry about than your paint job. unpainted and faded surfaces will get surface rust but this usually happends on the roof, trunk and hood where the sun hits the paint the hardest. if there are deep scratches in the paint, down to bare metal the exposed metal will rust but thats no biggie either. then again a pic is worth a thousand words

7. miyakoscorn

miyakoscorn New Member

Vehicle:
    I Thank you both for your answers. I think I'll combine your answers and try to correct and fix both. I do believe your words, a picture is worth a thousand words. I must swear on this though, I paid $500.00 on this car and it is better than 99% of all the other cars I've seen for sale online, the Maverick is all that I ever wanted. Ever since I've known of the Maverick I've always wanted one. Even if it means I'll have to replace a couple parts thats fine with me. I mean just think, the car came with vintage Cragar SS Rims, sure It's Avocado, But for a few rust problems here and there I will do all that is possible for this beautiful car I got for $500, its in spectacular shape, So can I use Rust Mort or One step rust remover if I take out the door panel and check for rust, thankyou all!!