Questions about dyes ....

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 76 Mav, May 29, 2003.

1. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    I have used several different types of dyes in the past and so far i have had much success, But this is the first time trying to dye a dash.... I have been looking for a type that is made especially for dashboards but i have had little luck ... Most places offer two or three different colors of black some gloss and some flat and some metal flake gloss ... I know i dont want gloss but what i was wondering was, How flat is flat ? ... Is that what i need ? I have never used flat dye before ....

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  2. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I've had experience with two types of dyes. The average spray dye is usually a gloss. I've used a paint on dye called Topper and it's a flat. I've not seen any other type of dye. It is usually either a gloss or flat. usually glosses are used for dashes as they most closely match the original colors.

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have never been too much a fan of rattle can dye. Many have had great success with it though. Your options increase many fold when you go to an autobody supply store. You can usually get any dye you like and you can use flattening agents in them if you wish. The only drawback is you will need a spray gun and a compressor too.
    Dan

4. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    I see what your saying Dan ... I would have to use the flattening agent to get the desired effect .... Not flat enough add more agent and visa versa ...

I have used can dye before and it worked out ok ... I believe im going to use a better guality dye this time around, If at all possible i would rather not cut any corners ..... Thanks

5. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    ya, be careful with gloss, it doesn't look oem, as it gives it a shiny armor all on steroids look, when the sun hits it, you can get blinded.