Ready for carpet and headliner

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by big_fordsrule, Apr 9, 2006.

1. big_fordsrule

big_fordsrule Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick
    Got the old ripped headliner and carpet out, Repaired the floors as best as my limited body expertise would allow,:oops: and bought some nice black indoor/outdoor carpet from lowes. Figured I'd try to do it myself seeing as I used to make interiors for Kenworth. I put the new padding in the floors after cleaning and spraying truck bedlining on the floors and firewall. I like a nice quiet ride inside the car except for the stereo (and you can make the exhaust obnoxiously loud if it's well insulated). Here's a few pics of the low budget install sans carpet (been rainy and cold). I plan to do some new door panels and re-upholster my seats as time and cashflow permit....Jerry(y)

Attached Files:

2. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    very nice! :clap: I like the idea of spray bedliner material for sound control. Much cheaper than dynamatting everything.

Did you do a nice light coat or pretty heavy? Is that residential carpet padding? Cant wait to see the results with the new carpet!

3. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    did you use the spray can liner that you can buy in the stores? i've heard that works pretty good. may try that myself. heard it was about $6-7 a can. looking forward to seeing it finished.(y)

4. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    I bought the Duplicolor spray bed liner, worked well, I sprayed underneath the body and inside also..next step is to spray in the ceiling too, then add foam...cheap and does a good job...

5. rockndrifter06

rockndrifter06 Member

can anyone help me with doing a headliner, my car doesnt havent anything up there at all! any basic stuff? in that first pic i saw the rods going across, are those factory cuz mine arent there.
    thanks for any help guys

6. MarulMav

MarulMav Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick (Grabber Clone)
    It would be great if you could add some update photos while doing your headliner. I'm one of those who is also without a headliner installed and am wondering if/when I'll tackle this.

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Looking pretty good.

8. big_fordsrule

big_fordsrule Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick
    Got the carpet in

Got the carpet in, It went pretty easily, I bought 12' of marine grade black that was 6' wide cost 52.00, 3 cans of 3M super tack spray 8.00ea, from LOWES and 4 cans of truckliner from the zone 6.00 bucks per can. this was flat carpet, not moulded so it took alot of patience.
    Gave the floor all 4 cans of bedliner, pretty thick. after it dried I put some 3/8 inch thick carpet padding (household) over the entire bottom, used some spray tack to glue it down. these are the pics in the first post.

I laid the carpet out and found the middle of the 6'end and cut about 10" in and 12"back looked like a U shape cut out. I placed this part as close to the firewall as I could and pre fit the rest as best as possible. I started on the passengers side by rolling the carpet towards the drivers side, spray tacking the center of the trans tunnel on the flat part and smoothing the cafrpet out on it, continuing down the side of the tunnel to the bend in the floor, across the floor to the doorjambs. I had to cut the carpet at an angle where the trans tunnel and floor/firewall come together, glued the trans tunnel part down first and used chalk to mark the overlapping flap for a reference of where to cut. Be extra careful and cut a little at a time till the seams line up and glue the firewall part down. the doorjamb/kickpanel areas are the easiest, run the carpet over and up at the corner and cut it at the floor/firewall crease to form a V. This will be covered by the kickpanel. continue by working back from the front of the tunnel and then down the side making sure to get it flat. I used a heat gun on low for the really tight curves like the rear pans. The drivers side is done the same as the passengers side. TAKE YOUR TIME AND EXCERCISE PATIENCE. (y)

I am no technical writer so I hope this helps.. :confused: here are a few pics, (I should have vaccumed it out first) LOL..Jerry

Attached Files:

9. rockndrifter06

rockndrifter06 Member

looks good!