Ready for paint.

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by gmatthew76, Jul 4, 2011.

1. gmatthew76

gmatthew76 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 2 dr Maverick, 1977 2dr Maverick,1998 Ranger, 2004 Focus Wagon
    I've spent a lot of time on my 76 Maverick getting the body ready for paint. I have cut out all the rusty sheet metal, fabricated and welded in new metal, and worked, filled, and sanded all the imperfections in the body till I'm satisfied that she's ready for some color. Up till now I've just used rattle can primer to protect all of my hard work, but working with spray cans is a real pain in the butt. I'd like to buy a decent spray gun (one that will work with both primer and Lacquer). I've heard about the HVLP guns, and I understand that they will work with smaller compressors, but I'm not sure if my compressor will do the trick.
    Does anyone know if they make a gun that will work properly with my little 5 horse 20 gallon compressor?
    Thanks.:tiphat:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    I'm not sure but I would be very careful with it being in a rattle can primer it tends to breathe alot and if there's a fair bit of moisture around you will see surface rust coming through... so just be careful. Hopefully you got it stored inside, and someone else with more spray gun knowledge will chime in.

3. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Eastwood has a gun they claim will work for you.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ...make sure that your...paint reducer...doesn't lift your rattle can primer....sometimes they don't play well with each other...

my ...epoxy primer...has weathered well...(y)

...Frank...:tiphat:

5. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
  6. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    Ohhh crap I gotta get busy, you are way ahead of me in the body work department, but I've been collecting other stuff lol, great to hear you are ready for paint Matt, if nothing else come and borrow one of my compressors and hook them together :thumbs2:

7. gmatthew76

gmatthew76 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 2 dr Maverick, 1977 2dr Maverick,1998 Ranger, 2004 Focus Wagon
    Thanks Roger, I've heard of using a air tank in conjunction with a compressor. but never heard of using 2 compressors in series. I'll have to do a little research to figure out how to even hook that up.
    As for being ready for paint, I'm still a few weeks away from painting. I have to gather up all the material and tools I'm gonna need, and the learn how to use them. I am hoping to get her done before September. The wife and I are leaving for the UK on vacation, and it would be nice to come home to a killer looking Maverick sitting in the driveway. I'll start postin some progress pics next weekend.:tiphat: