Rear axle housing gasket

Discussion in 'Technical' started by satchelmcqueen, Feb 22, 2018.

1. satchelmcqueen

satchelmcqueen Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Is it ok to use gasket maker in a tube in place of the stock gasket material on the rear axle housing? This will be on the gear/pumpkin to axle case area.

I know this is a very high torque area so I wasn't sure if gasket maker would be ok here or not. Anyone care to chime in that's used both? Had a bad experience with leaks with one vs the other?

Thanks

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Does not matter what you use, so long as good sealer, enough used to make sure total coverage and make sure you apply right around all the housing studs! I think it all comes down to each persons preference, some like using the paper gasket with sealer on both sides, others just do away with the gasket and apply RTV sealer........just make sure all surfaces are really clean, is the main thing and allow plenty of time to cure, before adding gear oil.
    David

71gold and satchelmcqueen like this.
  3. satchelmcqueen

satchelmcqueen Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thanks. Ive always used rvt on my jeep rear axle but that was just for the diff cover. Just wasnt sure if the actual pumpkin with the working load on it at all times would make a difference. I suppose if its all torqued down correctly it should matter anyway. So straight rvt it is then! Tha ks