Rear glass

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 74bossmav, Dec 1, 2007.

1. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door Brn.
    The rear window glass on my 74 I got some time ago seems to be not formed right or not installed correctly. The upper corners are a good half an inch lower than the trim. Just got a 71 and it is even worse. Is this a common problem on Mav's? I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and is there anything that can be done to correct this. It looks like crap.

2. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    do you have the trim and gasket seated properly? i thought all 2 door glass was the same

3. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    Trim and glass are as I recieved them. I have not done anything with them yet. It just looks like the glass has a different form or curvature than the roof/c-pillar. Everything looks fine around the bottom and sides and the middle portion of the top, but near each upper corner is like the glass has been bent inward tho I know you can't bend glass. I have seen a similar condition on a 73 Mach 1 a friend recently bought.

4. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    All 2 door front and rear glass is the same.. Not to sound dumb did you get a Maverick window?

5. Bob Wiken

Bob Wiken Chronologically Gifted

Vehicle:
    1973 maverick, '87 306 H.O., roller rockers C4
    has the roof been replaced and not put back on in the proper place. If the bottom fits and the top doesn't, that sounds like a possibility

6. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
  7. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    Yes, I know you wan't pics but right now there is about 6 inches of snow on the tarp over the 71. I can take pics and try to post them, have not done it before. The 74 was an old lady's car, 68K miles and has not been wrecked that I can tell and looks to be the original seal. I haven't taken the window out yet. The 71 I don't have a lot of history on but again looks to be the original seal and glass and I have not touched it yet either. Roof and c-pillars look original and straight as can be on both cars. The upper corners of the glass just seem to drop towards the inside of the cars like the curvature of the glass doesn't match the roof.:huh::banghead:

8. mav6977

mav6977 Member

Vehicle:
    various years
    Glass is a supercooled liquid. Over time, if not supported, it will reshape and distort on it's own just from it's own weight. Experiment done several years ago with small weights and wire on a windshield, wire worked through windshield (cutting it in half) in about six months. If the glass was sitting on the floor somewhere unsuported, that could be the problem.

9. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    Well, never heard of anything like that before. Not saying it's not true:hmmm:. How would you suggest storing the window glass? Right now it's laying on a towel on a piece of plywood. Does that mean it will flatten out over time? I took pictures after work and will try to post them. The overall shape seems correct except for the upper corners and I don't see how just those two areas would have changed shape if they had been stored incorrectly.