Rear Shocks

Discussion in 'Technical' started by markso125, Oct 1, 2011.

1. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Ok I am looking at putting new shocks in the rear of my car. On the front I have KYB KG4517 monotube Gas-A-Just which is a direct fit for our cars.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-KG4517/

I would like to stay with the Gas-A-Just shocks all the way around but as we all know the shocks for the rear of our cars are very limited.

The only shock that KYB makes for the rear of our cars is the KYB Excel-G which is a twin tube stock replacement shock.

The dimensions are

Max travel 17.91 Min travel 10.83 giving it a 7.09 stroke

part number 343136
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-343136/

But... on the other hand KYB makes a monotube Gas-A-Just shock for a NISSAN-520 PICKUP, 521 PICKUP, 620, 620 PICKUP, 720 (86-65) I believe this is the pickup that is refered too in the tech articles

The dimensions are

Max travel 19.09 Min travel 11.81 giving it a 7.28 stroke

part number KG5447
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-KG5447/

It has an inch less travel, and an inch in the length.. basically they are an inch longer overall, but I dont know if that will matter too much. But any thoughts, can anyone see any problems with running these? Currently I have some old coil overs from the 70's on the car that the original owner put on,(they are probably older then I am) really I would like to find some performance coil overs to go on the back but I think those are far and few in between.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    Dude Do what works, who cares if your nails dont match your lipstick or your shoes. Shop around, personally I dont care what it looks like I do what works. What about rear coilovers, check out everything. This is not a fashion show. No Offence meant. just get out of the box.:bananaman
    Check out Bilstein.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. DC12VOLT

DC12VOLT Fuel Injected

Vehicle:
    Cream 1971 Maverick
    What's the difference between a twin tube and monotube shock?

4. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Umm I wasnt asking if they was pretty or not.... I like the ride of my KYB monotubes I have on the front and I would like to duplicate that on the rear, I was inquiring if there would possibly be any mechanical issues with using the Nissan shocks.

Here this should explain it, make sure you check out the video

http://www.kyb.com/technical/monotube.php

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    i'd love to know that, too. i have the gr-2 and really don't like the way the car rides.

i'm thinking of frankensteining my rearend - i have the versailles 9 inch, would like to try out the granada 5 leaf springs and would be happy to get decent kyb shocks!

6. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Thinking kyb tech line is the right one to answer you. Traveling issue probably not a big deal here but the difference in valve size may make for a bear of a ride. Interested in how tech line treats you,,,

7. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Ok guys I got a response back from KYB today

here is what I sent.

Hi I should start out by saying I have a 1972 ford maverick. Currently the front is setup with KG4517 monotube Gas-A-Just shocks that is a direct fit for my application. I really like the ride and the control that the Gas-A-Just shocks give me.

Unfortunitely the problem I have is that the only shocks that KYB makes for the rear of my car are the twin tube Excel-G part number 343136 and they maintain a Max travel 17.91 Min travel 10.83 giving it a 7.09 stroke .

Now knowing this data I have searched through your catalog and found the KG5447 it is a replacement for the NISSAN-520 PICKUP, 521 PICKUP, 620, 620 PICKUP, 720 (86-65). Its dimensions are Max travel 19.09 Min travel 11.81 giving it a 7.28 stroke. And it maintains the correct upper and lower mounting provisions for the rear of my car.

Knowing that even though there is an inch difference in the overall length of the shock, it would still be within the acceptable travel range for my car. So my questions are would there be any issues using these shocks relating to the valving or diamater in relation to the front shocks? Or would these be a good match to use with the KG4517 shocks on the front?

and here is the response from KYB

Good morning Mark, it looks like you have done a great job researching!, Yes the number KG5447 would be ok to use, since the compressed length is less than an inch difference, the dampening would be similar to the part number KG5417 for the front.

Thank you for using KYB

Tech Support

8. demo913

demo913 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick 351w
    So what will be the advantage of using the KG5447?

9. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    The KG5447 is a monotube performance oriented shock. That matches the shocks I have on the front.

The direct fit shocks from KYB like the Excel-G and similar shocks from other brands are just stock replacement twin tube shocks.

10. demo913

demo913 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick 351w
    Is the extra length going to effect anything in the rear end? Would it be a good idea if you ran a monotube in the rear to do the same up front? Thanks...

11. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Looks like you got the good news right from the horses mouth... This helps me with my thoughts on useing the nissan shock in the back. Thanks for posting the info!!!

12. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Really the inch different on the overall length is not going to cause any problems whatsoever, if you have to worry about bottoming out a set of shocks then you are taking the car where it shouldnt be going. Afterall we arent taking these things rock crawling are we?

As for matching the front and the rear shocks yes it would be a good idea, that way you could maintain similar dampening characteristics for both the front and the rear of the car.

13. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    mark, did you ever get around to put these kyb shocks in? i just ordered a set on rockauto.

14. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Got them sitting in a box I have been waiting for the warm weather that is finally showing up(and a little free time) to put them on. Let me know how they run in the rear if you get them on before me.

15. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Very good information! I'm also interested in both of your impressions on the ride and stability.