Removal of heat control face plate?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Russ, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    Is there anyway to remove the plate without breaking off the little plastic nipples on the back side? Also which way do you have to move the little clip on the backside of the slider knobs to remove them? Do they pry out, in, or up, down? Thanks Russ

2. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Russ, the knobs pull straight off. There is no "clip" that holds them, just friction. Sometimes they can be mighty stubborn. I've wrapped them in a shop rag and used pliers to get them off. As for the plate itself, I don't know that there's any secret to it, other than to work slowly, prying at each corner equally until it comes out. The "nipples" are awfully thin and brittle after all this time and it's hard to remove that plate without breaking at least some of them.

Sam :)

I'm Sam Mangano, and I approve this message.

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have never owned a maverick that did not have that faceplate hanging off. Even when my Stallion was new it only lasted a couple years tightly.
    Dan

4. Russ

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    I need to change the headlight switch. Do I HAVE to take off the face plate? The faceplate has never been off and I'd hate to break it if I don't have to :( Is there maybe any way to get behind it and push from behind after the gauges are out?

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    It may be possible but is gonna be 100X easier to just pull the control panel and cover then you have easy access to the switch. I don't think it's possible to remove the cover with out breaking most or all of the tabs. I reinstalled my cover using 3M Black Strip Caulking. It holds just fine and is tight.

6. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Take 2 small screw drivers and put them parellel, one on each side, about 1/2" from the top, and gently pry the top out very slightly. Then move to the middle, then to 1/2" from the bottom. Just move it out a little at a time. They break off when the panel is pulled crocked. Keep it a evenly spaced all the way around as possible. I have never broken a tit off yet doing it this way.

7. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    I also used the 3M strip tape to put my face plate back on it works well.

8. Russ

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    Dennis you da man! Your tip worked perfectly. I now have a new headlight switch, and I changed the bulbs to the W5W in the gauges.:bananaman Have to wait till night to see what a differance it made. I also found a short in the steering column.:mad: The shift indicator wire must have a short inside the column somewhere so I ended up pulling the wire out of the bottom of the column connector(I'm not tearing apart a column just to get that light to work). I least now I'll be able to see how fast I'm going on my way to work in the early mornings. Thanks again Russ

9. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    I use industrial strength velcro, and it stays just fine. Nice thing is, it comes off very easy and you can't tell the diff.