removing aftermarket undercoating

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by tom mulloy, Mar 30, 2002.

1. tom mulloy

tom mulloy Senior Vice President

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber
    I am the proud owner of Craig's masterpiece -- a dark aqua metallic (very cool looking blue) 70 Grabber. About the only thing that needs doing is detailing the engine compartment. Since I'm in the process of putting the motor together out of my 72, I have yet to start on this project. The other day I was looking around under the hood and noticed that the undercoating application included the firewall.

Any tips for removing this nasty stuff? (the engine and tranny will be pulled for easy access) Has anyone had just an engine compartment media blasted? Whatever method used cannot disturb the cherry paint job.

Tips/recommendations appreciated. Thanks. Tom

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    You are lucky Tom....I already did the entire front end of the car when I had the fenders off, and I also did the rear wheel wells before I had it painted. This was A LOT of work!! The only thing that I found would cut it was numerous screwdrivers and mostly a good gasket scraper. The stuff was so thick (as you know) that that was the only thing that would work. Forget bead blasting it...it just bounces off (I tried).

The stuff in the rear fenders wells was the worst...it was about an inch thick. Nice part though....this was done by the dealer when the car was new, so that is why the car didn't rust out, even though it was in Ohio all it's life.

The firewall didn't look too bad, so with the engine and trans out, it should scrape off pretty easy. Once you get off the big stuff, spray it down with P.B. Blaster and let it soak for about 5 minutes. Spray it down again and then start wiping it off. This should clean off all the small pieces left and might take several attemps. P.B. Blaster works great for this.

Have fun.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  3. tom mulloy

tom mulloy Senior Vice President

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber
    PB Blaster, never heard of using that on undercoating. Thanks Craig.