Removing Factory Stripes ..

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Apr 24, 2004.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Any of you guys use the rubber wheels to remove the Grabber stripes? I tried a heat gun it it sorta works but the stripes are brittle and come off in tiny pieces ... Figure if I remove them myself it will save me some labor charges at the paint shop. How many rubber wheels am I gonna need for the entire car? Thanks ...

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I used 1/2 of a rubber wheel to remove my 79 Z28 stripes. Works great and I would not do it any other way. I thought I would go thru 2 of them, they go very far if you treat them right. Dont allow too many rpm's.
    Dan

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Like Dan said, the rubber wheels work great and very seldom hurt the paint if used with care. In your case you may not be concerned about the paint. If you don't want to harm the paint just keep the speed down. I would plan on possibly using two wheels but you might get by with one. I used to manage a body shop and have been through a couple hundred of these and only wish that I was the one that invented them.Ray