Removing paint from Plastic...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by A_Bartle, May 5, 2009.

1. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    On my black Maverick, there are a couple of pieces of plastic in the interior that the previous owner painted with (I'm guessing) some rattle can paint. Of course it's now peeling and I want to correct it. What solvent should I use to remove the paint, yet not damage (attack and dissolve) the plastic parts?

Thanks
    Art

2. sgaugeguy

sgaugeguy Bob Kraus

Vehicle:
    1971 MAVERICK 2Dr 44,000 AIR & VINYL TOP
    Ive done some restoration work on painted antique toy train parts that were plastic. We in the train collectors circle use easy off oven cleaner, the original formula. It has always worked great for me. Be sure to test a small spot first. I remember using it on a plastic piece for a Falcon I once had but I can't remember what the part was. Hope this helped you ... Bob

3. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    Wow, that's a great tip, I've never heard of using oven cleaner. I'll be sure to give that a try, thanks again....

4. lngroller

lngroller Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 2dr 250
    I just worked on some interior pieces that were plastic and crumbly. I used a sand blaster with fine coal slag (Black beauty, Black blast) and it removed the crumbly plastic but didn't touch the good plastic. I'll find the link so you can see. But again I would try it on an unseen spot first and only if the above advice didn't work.

http://www.maverick.to/mmb/showthread.php?t=54224&page=3

You can see in the photos how it had no effect on the good plastic I blasted the whole panel trying to make the texture even but couldn't get the good plastic to change. Now this was vinyl like kick panels and rear inner quarters not hard plastic.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Oven Cleaner works well. Built a lot of model cars as a kid and it was great for stripping a botched paint job. Wear rubber gloves and watch the fumes ...

Brake fluid also works well and won't hurt the plastic.

If the part can be submerged in water, I have had pretty good luck just soaking some parts for a couple of days. If the parts were not prepped well, sometimes the paint will peel off as a sheet.

6. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    Hey, thanks for the advice guys, I will be giving the oven cleaner idea a try and I'll let you know the results.....