Removing side emblems

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by indyman13, Feb 12, 2008.

1. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    Well, I'm getting ready to paint the car soon and need to remove the side Maverick emblems located behind the rear windows on my 73 2 door. They'll go back after it's painted. Looking down on them from the top it appears they're fastened on with studs and nuts through the panel. If so, it seems I'll have to remove some interior paneling to get to the nuts. Say it ain't so!

I could probably slip a hacksaw blade behind it and cut them off and come back with emblem adhesive it that's the easiest way to do it.

What do you experts suggest?

2. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    These emblems actually just push in. The studs you see slide into a little compression inserts put in a hole in the sheetmetal. Just pry them straight off - gently obviously.

3. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Oh, and the emblem on the trunk lid (if still there) is held on with adhesive. Good luck - post some before/after pics of paint if you can. (y)

4. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    Will do, have had to do some mild body work since my son tried to mate the left front with a hyundai. It sure looked like a "total" but I was very fortunate with no damage to the inner fender well and just having to bang out parts of the radiator core support and upper fender support. Thanks so much to the guys on the forum that put me in touch with some parts. It'll go back the same original color but the whole project has given me the chance to bring her back to life.