Removing the column shifter?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by maxsideburn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    I have a floor shifter and have no use for the column shifter, but I can't get that thing off for anything. I've tried different drill bits and other stuff but can't get it off. How do you remove the column shifter without beating it off with a sledgehammer? hehe

2. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Maybe a bit lowbrow for some, but I just pulled the handle out, cut it off near the stub with a friction saw and popped it back in.

3. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Max; be easy with it. There is a roll pin through the shifter boss. Just get a drift pin and tap it out. You will see it. When it's out, take a grinder, grind the boss off of the collar, and then use some fiberglass on the inside of the collar, and some body filler on the outside, sand it smooth and paint it the color of the column. That is how I did it, and it is smooth and looks good. The only way you can tell it was a column shift is the top of the column where the gear indicator was. BTW, it just snaps out. Also, if you take the light wiring, two blue and red wires, find them under the dash and run them to your floor shifter, they work for your indicator lights in the shifter, if you have them. I used a '67 Mustang shifter, and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Earl