Removing the side drip rail trim

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Mav Dude, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Mav Dude

Mav Dude Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    O.K. guys, I am working on my son's Maverick and I just didn't have the time to get it ready for him to start driving this month. So a buddy of mine has a friend who came over and he is going to finish the body work and give me a paint job for a very reasonable price $700. :wave:Yea, I know you get what you pay for but I talked him down and we agreed where the metal patches would go on the two holes and long story short, he wants me to do a bit of prep to keep the price down. So, how do I get the drip rail trim off without screwing it up?

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Well, if I were you, I would either leave it on, or leave it off after the paint job. I left mine off, and it looks a lot better than the chrome. Also, just one less place to start rust. Take a look, and see if you like it off. Those things are hard to get off without bending or twisting. Good luck, either way you go.:huh:

3. Mav Dude

Mav Dude Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Leaving them off?

Hmm, I never thought about leaving them off. I have to give it some thought but taking them off will give my son that option later. I like the stance of your car from the drivers side pic.(y) What did you do?

Oh well I still need to think about getting those trim pieces off anyway a bit of rust in the rail and if I don't pull them there is no way to get at that rust without screwing them up.

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    The car has six cyl springs on the front, with a 302/C4. I also used the springs from a V8 car in the rear. The tires are 225X60X15 front, and 235X60X15 rear. Other than that, nothing. Thank you for the compliment. Take care,

Earl

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Mine didnt come from the factory with them but I added them. My 71 dont have them but I will add a set to it too. Just a matter of personal preference. To remove them, take a well worn straight slot screw driver and small hammer. Start on the underside at the front and gently tap it off the lip. Work slow and in small increments. Comes off pretty easily once you get the hang of it.

6. gunslinger68

gunslinger68 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick-347,tr3550,9in,etc.etc.
    I screwed mine up taking them off, and found another set on e-bay:whew:. Anyone ever thought about shaving them off all together?? I've heard of guys doing it to early Mustangs, I think it was in a magazine:hmmm:. Just a thought.

7. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

never thought about it,...just went and did it on the project 72 . hope you like body work if you try it.;) not saying its hard, just takes some work.

8. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Left mine on, taped them. Then again, I like the chrome...it makes it look classic.

9. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    When I removed the ones on Daves car I used a 6" pc of 2X4 and caught the edge of the trim from the bottom sideand pecked it with a hammer the whole length. Just tapped it hard enough to unhook it from the drip rail not hard enough for it to hang out if that makes any sense. Not saying my way is better just another way.

10. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Ward, you are the best. You ROCK!!!!!!

11. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Whichever way you choose, don't be in a rush. I screwed one up using the bottle opener method - ended up with little dents in the middle where I pryed against. I like the wood idea, sounds like a safe way to do it. If you're sure there's no issues with rust, you would do well to leave those mouldings alone and mask them. Just my 2 cents and worth every penny!

Sam :)

12. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Could you post some pics of this??? Would love to see it.,

13. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

I have pics but not on a disc(no digital camera) so I dont have a way to post them. next time I take some film in to get processed I'll take a shot or two.