Replace gas gauge?!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by maxsideburn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    Ok here's the scoop. My gas gauge doesn't work anyway and I'm not sure if you can get an aftermarket one, also the white piece of plastic behind my gauges that holds the lights and such has broken apart. So my thought is this. When I put my gauge cluster back together I plan on just attaching the gauges directly to the plastic gauge housing and mounting my own LED lights to light them up. But I'm thinking that since my gas gauge doesn't work, and I don't really need indicators to know when my brake lights and turn signals are on I could just replace that whole gauge with a tachometer.

Do you guys think that I really need that guage with the gas gauge, signal indicators, and idiot lights? And does anyone know where I could get a reasonably priced tachometer that would fit? Either 3 3/4" or 4", somewhere around there. Every one that I've seen is like $150 and mounts on your dash.

Also how do these aftermarket tachometers work? Like how do they know what your rpms are?

2. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    If you drive the car everyday you will want a gas guage, just go to a salvage yard and pick up a cluster for $20 bucks or so, If it is your weekend car then go with a tach, I'm sure some people will post some pics or you can go through the archives, there are some sharp looking conversions.

3. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    Well it will be almost a daily driver and I thought about getting another gauge, but all of the junkyards over here crush anything older than 1990.

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Max; the gas gauges are easy to replace. If you find a good cluster, you can put your speedo in if you want to keep the odo readings. I have replaced my gas gauge twice, and it is a challenge to find a good one, but they are out there. Good luck!

Earl

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    dennis said he has a ton of the clusters...frank..:bananaman :bananaman