Replacing 2-part seatbelts with modern seatbelts

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rosalindr, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    Has anyone replaced the old 1973 split seatbelt system with modern seatbelts? I really like the funkiness of the split seatbelts, 1973 was the only year that came that way, but I don't think they are very safe. If I replace them, what should I use and how do I put them in?

Roz

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    roz,
    terry (hawkco) gave us a link to some he got from melvins. maybe someone can get it for you. terry is out of town this weekend so maybe you could contact him when he returnes...i am thinking about putting them in my '73 grabber...frank...:bouncy:

3. lngroller

lngroller Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 2dr 250
  4. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Dave,

That looks like it will work. I wonder if the buckle would fit into the original short end. It looks like I could install this without removing the existing seatbelt, except for the short end if the buckle doesn't fit. Good find. :clap:

Roz

5. tom butas

tom butas Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1974 Comet - Looking super nice 73 Maverick near Memphis
  6. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    just about any early retractable shoulder harness belt will work. i put VW beetle belts in my grey one because someone had completely removed the stock ones. bought them at the junkyard in perfect condition for $40. If you look at some junker cars, just make sure they have a two bolt setup on their system and are spaced in the correct general area. make sure the retractor mechanism works smoothly and the belts are cleanable/good.buy the latch mechanism with it just to be sure,but some of them will even work with the ford latch.
    By the way, previous years to 73 came with the split as well. do you have the ones that go in before you latch the belt or after? my grabber has the ones that you can latch after and half the time if you dont cinch it until your eyes bulge itll come loose while your driving. i think the 73 ones were the ones that went in before latch, which makes them a little safer. the 68 cougar was just two seperate seat belts, one for the shoulder harness, i think mustangs are that way also.

7. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Mine's the one that connects before you latch the belt. It makes it tricky to attach the belt because the shoulder piece keeps slipping out. If it snapped in and stayed when you clicked in the lap belt, I'd use it more often. But I still don't trust a 33 year old belt.

I like the one's Dave found. These mount below the window, so they don't show (except to passengers in the back seat), and the original belts don't have to be removed. The company also has a 12" extender, for tubby folks like me. I have to bulge my eyes out to fit a seat belt too, but that's because I take up so much room in the seat :yup:. It's a little like getting into jeans a size too small. You don't want to see that :yikes:.

Roz :tiphat:

8. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Tom,

Thank you and Hawkco for the link. I'll have to email them on Monday and find out what they have that will fit my Maverick. Their prices are better than Dave's place, but I like the option of hiding the new belts and keeping the originals where they are.

Roz

9. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Ok, here's the problem I see with all of the aftermarket retro-fit belts for our cars: they don't include the the piece at the top that "drops" the pivot point to just above your shoulder. If you look at a factory Mav/Comet 3-pt. seatbelt, it uses this stationary piece about 7" long to make the seatbelt more comfortable to wear. The retrofit units make you mount the pivot directly to the roof of the car and I would think that this would make the belt come across the neck or face of many people unless you're 7 ft. tall. This is just my observation but I have hesitated buying any of these for that reason. I HATE my 2- piece belts because they're so cumbersome but I haven't found any others that I like better. I was thinking about fabricating a "drop" out of steel and bolting it to the roof and then attaching the pivot to it. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Sam :)

10. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Scroll down to the picture of this link and you will see two styles of retractable belts with shoulder harness. One does have about an 8 in offset.

http://www.andoauto.com/retrofit.htm

11. tom butas

tom butas Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1974 Comet - Looking super nice 73 Maverick near Memphis
    Seat Belts

I agee, see my picture...mine are very worn and frayed. My 74 Comet has big mount on the floorboard and 3 big retaining bolts and cover.

Attached Files:

12. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I see it now Terry, thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to order a set now.

Sam :)

13. Flawxy

Flawxy New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet 4dr Red Stock 250 C4 Transmission Chrome Smoothie Rims.
  14. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
  15. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    That's a good idea for the three-point belts. I'm not sure it's worth it for the split belts. The problem with replacing those is I'd have to add all new reinforcement attachments, since the new harness-belts won't go where the old one's are attached. So rebuilding the originals is another option. Good find, thanks (y).

Roz