Restoration needed.(56kwarning)

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by TehNewKid, Dec 24, 2005.

1. TehNewKid

TehNewKid Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick w/ 200 I6 & 3spd auto.
    If you look up my gallery, you can see the photos of the damage tha needs to be repaired. There's far more left, but I figured I'd start by posting these up and seeing what kind of help I can get.

I'm so bummed out by this... what can I do? Halp...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

the only way to fix it right is start looking for some new metal.looks as if it had been repaired in the past at least once.if your doors are that bad as you described,you may be ahead to look for a better set as well, instead of repairing them. fenders can be bolted on,the rust on the 1/4s will need to be cut out and fresh metal welded in, or you can get replacement 1/4s(depends on how bad it is once you get into it, and your personal situation on what you want to spend on it)

if you want to do it yourself,you can save a lot of money provided you can do body work, and have a welder. if you cant do either, paying for a restororation will be costly.

good luck on your project

3. TehNewKid

TehNewKid Member

Vehicle:
    Do you mean that in the literal sense... or figuratively speaking? I was thinking that welding metal underneigh the holes followed by weld/solder and that lab metal stuff would work...

If I can make this car look decent, I may have a stronger will to get'r done! :D

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    Hi "New Kid",
    you are in luck..most of the problems are ...door and fender...:yup:
    as Rad Mav, said, just bolt on some diff. doors and fenders (y) you will be way ahead...my grabber has diff. doors, hood and trunk lid ...frank...:bouncy:

5. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

welding metal under the the holes isnt the best way to go about it, it may work, but if your going to weld in metal, cut out all of the affected area first, then weld in your patches. if you recess the new by welding it behind the holes youll have to use more fillers,and will take more work to make look right. and if you leave any of the "holes" in place,and place metal behind to fil , it will just promote new rot that much faster.

as far as literally or figuritively- it depends on what areas need replaced, if your quarters are solid and the work needed is only on the fenders and doors, then bolt on new pieces, it will save tons of time and money . if your rear quarter areas are affected, look into patch panels or replacement 1/4s.

6. TehNewKid

TehNewKid Member

Vehicle:
    Do you know of any sites that'll have parts for a Maverick? I don't know of a whole lot of places here, but most of the stuff for 70's and older are all either rusted out or for a 4-door... nothing that'll fit my car or in any better shape.

7. J_dub

J_dub Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick Grabber
    you sound alot like me I also have a 2dr mav I am trying to fix up and dont really know where to start or how im going to go about it but im darn sure going to try well ive already started cutting rust out of the floorpans and i dont yet have a welder or any sheet metal or and body filler but eventually ill get it done let keep us updated on your progress.

8. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    If you have a small welder and decent skills, the rust in the areas you have shown are not hard to fix. Don't need Maverick patch panels.....just some 20 gauge metal. Slice out the old metal back to solid (I prefer cut off wheels on grinders) and make cardboard patterns. When the cardboard fits nice, transfer it to metal.....weld it, grind it, thin layer of Bondo to smooth it all out.

Cleaver

9. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Someone on this forum used Mustang floorpans. Try to do a search for it. I will also look.

10. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    You might as well look up all your junk yards in that area. Make a list & pay them a visit just for inventory. If you find a Maverick or Comet than write it down on your list. Also note if you find interchangeable parts like old lincoln versaille & Ford make of the same car, I forgot the name of it. Explorer rear brake...etc. Just do this in your spare time. It gives you ideas as you get the car together.