Restored/Factory V8 Engine Bay Pics?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by zeidrach, Jan 22, 2015.

1. zeidrach

zeidrach Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet GT, barn find
    I've been looking around for pictures of restored or untouched engine bays, but most of the pictures in the engine bay threads are modified, non stock, etc. I'm building my 88 HO roller motor for my Comet GT, and I'm trying to look as factory as possibly, while still adding a few touches to it. I have a Holley Contender 4bbl Intake that I shaved the "Contender" markings off of, original Power by Ford valve covers, and a factory air cleaner assembly on it's way soon. I'll be running a Duraspark system with the small style cap and long tube headers as well. I guess I'm going for a stock/slightly modified look? I also can't decide if I want to run a later model aluminum water pump or a stock cast iron style. I'm having a heck of a time locating single rib stock pullies so may get stuck with running my serpentine stuff I already have. Ugh, decisions, decisions.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Here is a picture of my engine bay. I had the "Edelbrock Performer" milled off of the intake and then had it shot peened to make it look like a factory intake. Painted the entire motor Ford blue (aftermarket heads). Painted the aftermarket coil to look factory, etc. I wanted it to look factory stock and "hide" all the work that was done.

[​IMG]

h2o, Static and Paul Masson like this.
  3. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Here's some pics I got from eBay a few years ago that looks close to stock.

DSC_0144.jpg DSC_0145.jpg DSC_0146.jpg DSC_0147.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Here's mine before repaint of body and restomod of engine bay...

[​IMG]

A close to orig '72 GT without P/S or A/C, has a mechanical advance dual point dist...(sorry only pict I have)

[​IMG]

And mine modded, with some details to address... It'll no doubt get a late model A/C compressor and probably serpentine belt when the A/C is reinstalled...

[​IMG]

5. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street
    Search Dan Hines.

Paul Masson likes this.
  6. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    Craig Selvey likes this.
  7. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl

8. zeidrach

zeidrach Member

Vehicle:
    Wow guys, those are some nice looking bays! Craig, your car sure is gorgeous, I saw pictures of your exhaust in another thread. I wish I could get mine half a beautiful as yours someday. I just looked at Dan's, what a jaw-dropper!

So it seems that cars with A/C or PS got their coil mounted on the intake, and cars with neither have the coil mounted on the driver head. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to run v-belts or serpentine belt. Also if I'm going to run a stock alternator or upgrade to a 3g. Or if I'm going to run an electric fan or a stock fan? I guess I need to decide where to draw the line between looking original and upgrading to better parts. At least the body is easy: I'm replacing both bad front fenders with some 74 fenders I'll have to notch out, got a good trunk lid and quarter panel extension, and eventually will repaint to the original yellow. I got lucky, both my fenders are beat up but my comet bumper and GT hood/scoop are in perfect shape.

9. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    If I am lookin for orig. look, got to go w/ V-belt and stock type fan. My car was slightly modified when I got it, under the hood only. Body totally stock looking. Since u have the later roller motor might be best to stick w/ serp. setup. Like U say -- decisions.

10. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    All V8's had the coil on the intake from factory. The coil was already mounted on the engine before AC or PS were added

Craig Selvey likes this.
  11. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Original front cover for front sump oil pan will have a opening for dipstick tube that isn't in the late covers... Of course can be drilled, but most of the late covers also have a closed fuel pump opening and some have no opening at all...

12. zeidrach

zeidrach Member

Vehicle:
    Got that part covered, thanks for the tip though! I picked up a cover off a v8 Maverick in a local junkyard a few days ago and have a 3/8" freeze plug from NAPA to block off the stock dipstick hole in the 5.0 block. I have most everything for the engine now, just need single rib pullies and a coil bracket. Gonna hunt those down pretty soon.

I have a foxbody mustang as well as my Comet, so am saving all the timing cover parts incase I want to build a milder motor for my 5.0 and take out my built one for my Comet.