Restoring The Vinyl Door Skins

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by kukm66, Feb 19, 2008.

1. kukm66

kukm66 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber, 1964 Falcon Futura Convertible, 1964 Ranchero
    Well, after many years of arms resting on the door sill, the vinyl becomes discolored and worn. What is the best way to clean and re-dye the skins to get it back to original? What type of dye did you use? Is the color available to match the original?

2. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    SEM Products they work great. Be sure to use there cleaners & vinyl prep.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I'll second that motion. I used SEM vinyl cleaners, preps and dye on the red interior of my 77' Maverick and it looks fantastic. The dyes come in spray cans and if you need a lot of it, you can get it in pint cans. You will need a spray gun and an air comperssor to apply it from the pint cans. SEM also has color cards that show the many different colors you can have mixed for the pint cans. What color are your door panels?

4. kukm66

kukm66 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber, 1964 Falcon Futura Convertible, 1964 Ranchero
    According to the trim code, the interior is listed as medium blue. I will have to find some new vinyl to do the panels as they were trashed. I will try Original Auto Interiors at some point when I get to the interior.

5. jims68ragtop

jims68ragtop New Member

You might also want to check out Parasol Inc. They have very high quality dye. They can also custom match colors. All of your vinyl has likely changed color over the years. You might want to have the skins matched to the changed color instead of going with the original color. It may not match. Also, I have found that many so-called original colors are way off base.

Prep is the key to a good dye job.

6. Mike Tucker

Mike Tucker Member

I may be a little late, but this is what I have found works good and lasts for years.(and it won't come off) Have your color scanned at a local paint supplier.I like PPG DBU basecoat mixed 1:1 with DT885 reducer and add 5% DU5 hardener.Sand parts with blend prep and grey scotchbrite, and wash with water. Then apply an adhesion promoter and paint 2 light coats. Wait about 10-15 minutes between coats and your done. It has been on my car for 14 years and it is just starting to get thin on the drivers arm rest.