Reupholstering door panels/DIY

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Freelance Fury, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick, inline 6
    I knew all those sewing lessons from my mother would prove super helpful some day! (remind me to call my mom and give her props + kudos)

The black vinyl panels on my car are shot. Just hanging in pretty little ribbons, like a piece of modern art. Initially I was having a coronary wondering how much an upholstery place was going to charge me. Then Im laying in bed last night and had an epiphany. It's so basic, really.....like recovering a chair seat (which Ive done 60 times or so). Black vinyl, fiber backing, sewing machine....checkity check. I can probably do both for $30 or less (depending on if the fiber board is flat enough to reinstall without waving).

Anyone else taken care of the door panels themselves? Pics please. :)

2. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    I made mine. I used the old fiber board as a template to cut a new sheet out of some kind of newer stronger fiber board, might have been 1/4" mdf. Then I glued a 1/2" foam padding to the board. I wrapped the whole thing in black vinyl and glued and stapled the vinyl after wrapping it around the edges. Been holding up great for 12 years or so.

Oh and at first I tried just using Velcro to hold the panels onto the doors. That didnt work. I was too far along to cut out all the little holes to use the factory clips. So I used four tim screws and washers, one on each corner. those compined with the armrest bolts hold it all togethor nicely.

fullint.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I did pretty much the same as Ryan. Made new panels out of tempered wall board from Lowes (waterproof), glued on padding from a fabric shop and used 3M contact cement to attach black velour that matches my aftermarket seats. I used Velcro strips to attach the panels to the door, have to use a good contact cement.

4. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    Ryan, that looks sleek! Very nicely done. I found some very nice marine quality black vinyl tonight, and it has a pattern very similar to the original vinyl (just less sheen, it has a more satin/matte appearance). Need to find the right backing, and I'll be ready to roll. Thinking of stitching in a pinstripe/deco pattern on each panel, and bought silver (chrome-esque?) thread for the job.

5. b_ryce70Mav

b_ryce70Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    If you figure out what you're going to use for backing let me know. I'm doing mine as soon as I get my sewing machine fixed. I originally was thinking late model headliner foam, but its around $18 a yard. Was hoping for something cheaper.

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Fabric shops sell all kinds of different padding and bunting cheap.

7. b_ryce70Mav

b_ryce70Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I think I'm gonna go have another look. Bunting seems like it would be a pain to work with while trying to stretch vinyl over it.

8. Bob Wiken

Bob Wiken Chronologically Gifted

Vehicle:
    1973 maverick, '87 306 H.O., roller rockers C4
    I used headliner foam glued to the back of the vynyl I used. My wifes sewing machine sewed right througjh it with no problem. I did however buy some HD needles from the Fabrick store. Since the color doesn't matter, I got some end of the roll pieces of foam for half price.

9. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    I guess it depends on how much fullness and stiffness you want in the final product? I bought polyfiber backing (used for furniture upholstery and occasionally quilting) and just doubled the layers. Its a very minimal padded appearance, and also kept it a bit lighter than using foam. I got the whole roll of polybacking from from Walmart's craft area for $7.88. I scored the Marine vinyl for cheap, too. I'll post shots when I'm finished. Looks neat so far.

10. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Intresting. Would like to see some pics. I was thinking that it can't be that hard to sew some foam to some vinyl and then apply it to the board.. Just need to find the thickness and firmness of what I like in the foam.
    I will practice using the different settings on the sewing machine. My wife says it can do different patterns.

11. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    You can do something like this except glue the material instead of sewing. Be sure to press the materal in the groove good before going to the next pleat.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  12. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    Wow! I have a heavy duty sewing machine, but its not big enough to handle a panel. Bummer! I always prefer to sew vs. glue, to keep things looking sleek and uniform. That was fun to watch though. Making mental note!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  13. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO

If you want the vynil to stretch easier take some MEK and pour it on the foam on the back, let it sit for a few min and the backing pulls right off, work a little bit at a time so you dont tear it. This makes it easier to mold around tight corners if you are recovering something.

14. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Here's the bare bones panels we did for the falcon. Total cost was $20(for 4 panels).

$10 of Vinyl from Jo-anne. $5 3M spray adhesive and $5 of board from Home Depot.

They're nothing spectacular, but they look 100 times better than the torn apart stock ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    I think those look great! The only difference I can see is that it lacks the 'pleats' the original panels likely had, but I don't think it hurts it's appeal to be without them. Its a smooth, clean, wrinkle-free surface, and matches the interior. I call that a beautiful thing! :)