REviving oxidized paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Halebopp, May 18, 2004.

1. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    Can anyone tell me the best process for bringing back the shine on my weathered and oxidized paint? Do I need to go over it with a wax remover?
    I would like to see what I can do to make it look better until someday I can get it repainted, I need to know products, etc tips , I only know you have to be careful to not " burn the paint" with the buffer, don't want a bunch of swirl marks in it,

2. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    here read this post.

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=8402&page=1

as far as buffing.. if your paints alraedy had it you don;t have to worry about burning the paint. most of the time you have to worry about that on newer paint with a clear coat.

3. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks MAV Man

Hey thanks for the tips I will try this out as soon as I can get the stuff together, but a couple questions , did you hand rub this stuff in or did you use an electric buffer? Also the turtle wax did you use the paste or liquid, is it a different compound than regular turtle wax? By the way nice job on your new purchase quite a difference, that is actually what made me think maybe I can get mine to look " deep" again, maybe if it looks shiny again my wife won't
    _ itch about "that _ amn Comet" so much :slap: , I said it before and I will say it again , I had the Comet before the Wife.. ha ha , she's ok she just doesn't get it. :p
    Ironically my 13 yr old daughter loves the Comet, go figure. :)

4. matrick

matrick Member

Vehicle:
    75 Ford Maverick
    meguiars three step...works spectacular. i turned my 30+ year old paint job from a redish white with no reflection to a red mirror. dont get my wrong my wrist is like a cement mixer now but it was worth it(and yes i thought about buying a buffer, but i'm cheap what can i say).

5. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    np... i both hand rubed it and used an electirc buffer. i used the turtle wax paste (green can) by hand and the liquid for the buffer. i would never use turtle wax brand any other time but doing things like this. i have always had good results. but remember these turtle waxes i'm using are compunds not real wax. so i'd go over it with the other waxes i recomended.

good luck

6. auburn

auburn Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick
    MaverickMan-

I still get choked up seeing those before and after shots... :cry:

I Luv u Man (y)

7. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    THanks for the info Mav Man.. I appreciate the info. Now if I can just get the time to work on it, I'll post before and after pics once I am down see how they come out

8. matrick

matrick Member

Vehicle:
    75 Ford Maverick
    hey auburn, i'll show u a before an after of my car if i can find the pics...you'll weap :)