Rust & Dent removal on my CometGT??

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by TreyF73, May 22, 2007.

1. TreyF73

TreyF73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    I have a '73 Comet GT with some rust and dents. What is the best way to remove the rust? I know to puddy the dents and sand it, but with rust i dont know the best path to take.

2. ratrodjake

ratrodjake Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 250 I6
    wheres the rust?

3. 19BlacK77

19BlacK77 Member

The best way to do it is to cut out the rust and weld patch panels back in. IMO anything else will eventually bust/crack and you will be right back where you started. Get it right the first time while your at it that way you wont have to worry about it in the future. :thumbs2:

4. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    rust & dents

As cole693 has said the best thing is to remove the rust completely. But for small area's that are not rusted through you can use a rust converter. It converts the rust to an Inert Black Oxide and then apply an Epoxy Primer. Then you can prime and paint as you wish. As for the dents you should try as best as you can to level the dent with a hammer and dolly before using fillers. The filler should never be more that 1/4" thick. I personally think that is to thick so try to level the sheet metal as close as possible. Also the first coat of filler really should be a Fiberglass filler so as it will not wick water from the sheet metal. Harbor freight sells cheap Body Hammer/Dolly sets that will do the job.

Good luck with your project!!