rust in 1/4 panels, do they make truck pan replacements?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by jeremy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    Ok, was watching overhauling last night, and they had a 67 gto that had rust in the trunk pans. they replaced the whole bottom section with replacement trunk pans.

see, my rust is in the lower corners of the 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. the rust extends all the way to the bumper, so I essentially need the bottom few inches of the front of the 1/4 panels replaced, on both sides. the trunk pans they had wrapped around the front slightly, and looked perfect.

I got my mother to spring for the body work on this mav, now I just have to find a shop, and the parts.

SO< I doubt replacement sections are offered, how to fix this rust?

I don't want complete 1/4 panel replacements, can a shop just cut off the bottom of both sides and weld in a replacement section and have it look good?? This is the only rust on the car I've found as yet.

thanks for the help, as I'm going to strip the drivetrain and tow this car in asap for body and paint work.

2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Jeremy; no one makes trunk pans for our cars, or floor pans. You can buy repro quarters from AutoKrafters (autokrafters.com), and cut what you need, or replace the whole thing. The only other sheet metal you can get for the Mav/Comet is the rocker panels. Best to find a donor car with the metal you need, and get it there. Good luck!

3. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    damn, that's what I feared. Fortunately, mav's down here are somewhat common in the yards, at least nothing that i can't find in a few weeks of searching.

I bet the 1/4 replacements are expensive eh?

thank's for the quick reply.

I don't post much here anymore because I haven't really driven the car in 15 years, and I can't stay enthusiastic about a car I haven't driven in years and years. However, once this project gets underway, you won't be able to keep me away :)

do body shops charge a lot for this kind of work?

4. 69 ina 1/2

69 ina 1/2 Fox body nut!!!

Vehicle:
    691/2 maverick (sold to Mad Goon), 89 mustang coupe, 89 mustang GT, Gas-guzzlin' 05 Ford f150
    Jeremy just a heads up...I ran across two mavs at ontario pick a part. It seemed like the 1/4's were in decent shape,but didnt take a real close look. Funny thing is one had that familar grabber stripe down the side, I almost fainted. All I could think about til I got a closer look was omg I found a grabber hood, turns out It was a fake. guess I'll keep tryin to swidle you outa yours.lol? Good luck w/ your project.Let me know if I can help ya. Jamie

5. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    No way, Jamie!!! Great to see you made it here!!!!

part of me is saying just throw it all together like the day my mother drove it off the lot (except for tasteful drivetrain mods), but I don't think I can do that.

The plan, is to dechrome much of it, meaning the mouldings, and possibly roof mouldings, maybe even door handles, then put the grabber hood on and trunklid stuff (which I need)

I've got a thread going in a local mustang board right now, and am having some body guys look at the car, and estimate the damage, then I may have them fix it. If anyone knows of an excellent reasonable body shop in so cal, I'm all ears. I've got the go ahead from my mother who is funding a lot of the resto.

Jamie, you don't have a cordless sawzall do you?? I'm thinking I'll need a dr side 1/4, and part of the pass one, see pics below, what do you guys think??

Ok, here is the major damage.
    drivers side hit in the rear
    [​IMG]
    drivers side rust, outer picture
    [​IMG]
    here is a shot from the inside of the trunk DRIVERS side
    [​IMG]
    and finally, here is the passenger side. Passenger side is not nearly so bad, and doesn't continue on the inside of the trunk like the dr side.
    all in all, rust isn't as bad as I thought, but due to that rear ender damage, how fixable is that quarter?
    [​IMG]
    the rest of the body work is small minor stuff, dings in the roof as shown in the first picture, and just your average smoothing out before paint.
    What do you guys think? What am I looking at here? Is that dr side 1/4 panel saveable?
    If it's not saveable, can I we cut off just the back half of the panel, or do I need an entirely new one??
    what kind of ballpark figure am I looking at just for the body damage on this?
    If you prefer to pm me, or even better, email me at v8only@yahoo.com, or simply reply here. Again, I can't thank you enough for your help, Jeremy

6. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    a good body shop, should be able to fix that with no problem.i am doing my daughters car it looks like your passenger side. pretty easy to do

7. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    good. Do you think I'll need a whole new quarter, or can we just patch it? I want it done right though.

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    That looks like it could easily be fabricated from scrap sheet stock.

9. 69 ina 1/2

69 ina 1/2 Fox body nut!!!

Vehicle:
    691/2 maverick (sold to Mad Goon), 89 mustang coupe, 89 mustang GT, Gas-guzzlin' 05 Ford f150
    sorry dude, no cordless sawzall. maybe harbor frieght? cheap,almost disposable though.

10. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    I've got a buddy at work who will loan me a cordless one.

i've been chatting with a guy who has a strong word of mouth type biz, and It's looking like 5-6k out the door for all bodywork + paint. This is work that should look flawless. It's also including stuff like shaving the chrome mouldings, etc.

That's a big pill to swallow. That price is only if I strip the entire car, meaning drop it off as a rolling shell with no interior or drivetrain.

He said that he could easily fabricate the ends and corners out of sheetmetal, but, original maverick stuff may make it easier. He has to see the car in person to make a more formal judgement.

here is my question::

are ALL maverick 1/4 panels the same from 69-77?? 4 door and 2 door?? I'm talking specifically from the rear wheels back. I need to know which year mavericks can be the donor.