Rust in the paint?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by YellowStangDuan, Mar 19, 2006.

1. YellowStangDuan

YellowStangDuan Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I bought a 75 comet, that was not a Texas car, and the last owner painted it a couple of years ago. When I bought it last year, I noticed little rust spots in the paint, very tiny. I know the car has plenty of rust, but even the front panel behind the front bumper has this (plastic?) Could he have gotten something in the paint? It almost looks like a crappy job, dirt and stuff... The plastic panel almost looks like it had small metal shavings on it that are rusting, but they seem to be in the paint, or below. Any ideas?

2. MaverickGrabber

MaverickGrabber MaverickGrabber1972

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 393w
    was any one welding around it that will do it

3. YellowStangDuan

YellowStangDuan Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    You know, that might be it. That is kind of what it looks like to me, now that you pointed that out. I can't remember if this guy had a welder in his garage or not. How can I fix it? I didn't want to buy a buffer, if it would mess things up worse.

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Those rust spots could very well be steelwool particles. Some shops use steelwool to clean off windshields and chrome. It works well, but has a tendency to break apart into very small fragments that will turn to rust spots amost instantly when exposed to water. If the shop that painted the car used steelwool on the glass or chrome without blowing all the tiny steelwool fragments off the painted areas, that could be where the rust spots in the paint came from. The best way I know of to remove the rust spots would be by using compound either by hand or with a buffer.