rust problem

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 76Comet, Dec 28, 2004.

1. 76Comet

76Comet New Member

I own a 76 Comet and the trunk floor had rusted right thru. I must say that it's a surprise because it is a lot worse than I remember. The front foot well has rusted thru aswell. What is the best approach to this matter? Would it be easier to just find another undercarraige and replace the whole thing? Does anyone know how much roughly it'll cost? :huh:

Thanks for the info!

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Well, since it's a unibody car there is no such thing as just replacing the undercarriage. :huh: What you really need is a parts car to cut out the rust free parts you need. Either that or you'll need to fabricate replacement sheetmetal for the rusted out portions. A good sheetmetal man can do this. It's not going to be fun but is very do-able. :yup: The trunk floor would be the biggest project I believe but you should be able to find a decent floor pan as this is not normally a bad area to rust. I have disposed of several parts cars in the past with good trunk floors. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go. We're here to help in any way we can. (y)

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I agree with everything rayzorsharp says. It's much easier to repair if you can find a good replacement trunk floor to use. My concern is why it rusted through in the first place. It has to be getting wet somehow and the most likely reason is a water leak somewhere. You should try to find out if water is getting in the trunk and take care of it.

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Where are you?

You don't say where you are - but if your near Wisconsin, I have a 76 Mav that I'm parting out and you are welcome to cut out anything that you can use. The trunk is solid, not sure about the floor pans.

Oh yea, price is free :Welcome:

5. 76Comet

76Comet New Member

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try and find a sheetmetal man whom likes a challenge. :) Unfortunally I'm nowhere near you Acornridgeman. I live in Alberta. Thanks for the offer though and I will check if there's any in the pick your part lot.

Thanks again! :bananaman :bowdown:

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    76c,
    :Welcome:
    as jean, suggested, find the leak first. could just be the... trunk seal...sometimes the rear window seal lip...for that you would prob. have to pull the back glass.
    as for the footwell (floorpan) check the ...cowl vents... for this do a search at the top of this page on "cowl repair".....frank...